× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does ReadyNas check new Hard Drives when they are added?

kncowans
Virtuoso

Does ReadyNas check new Hard Drives when they are added?

Hello all

Does the ReadyNas check new Hard Drives when they are added or would you recommend running the Manufacturers Diagnostics on new Hard Drives before adding them?

The Hard Drives in question would be WD Red 5TB.

I am running the ReadyNas 214 with 6.4.2.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Does ReadyNas check new Hard Drives when they are added?

I believe it does run the short SMART test.  On a new install it likely doesn't matter that much (you can run a long SMART test after the array is set up, and there is no data at risk).  

If you are replacing a drive, it is good to test it with vendor tools (WDC Lifeguard in your case).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I believe it does run the short SMART test.  On a new install it likely doesn't matter that much (you can run a long SMART test after the array is set up, and there is no data at risk).  

If you are replacing a drive, it is good to test it with vendor tools (WDC Lifeguard in your case).

Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree with StephenB. Best practice would be to test using vendor tools before adding any disk at any time, but it's up to you how far you go. We have to allow for the fact that users often won't follow best practice when it comes to this, so we do the best we can by running a quick check before adding a disk to the array. This quick check will pickup some problems but it is not as thorough as a long/extended test from the disk vendor.

Note that even if you test disks using a long/extended test from the vendor and it passes the disk could still fail at any time. If your data is important to you then don't store it on the one device. Note if the primary copy of your data is on the PC then a copy on the NAS is a backup as it is on a separate device. See Preventing Catastrophic Data Loss

Message 3 of 4
kncowans
Virtuoso

Hello Stephen and MDGM

Thanks for the replies.

I think, just to be safe I will run the Manufacturer Tools before adding the Disks.

Thanks

Kevin

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements