× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Drive Upgrade from 1TB to 2TB

hh1011
Aspirant

Drive Upgrade from 1TB to 2TB

I've been using a ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 for home backups for several years now. I have about 675 GB of data and want to upgrade both drives from 1TB to 2TB.
I'm seeking input on drive recommendations. Looking at this Seagate 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache ST2000DM001 - http://amzn.to/1tAFxSk. It's listed on the hard disk compatibility list, although my warranty has expired. Anyone have any thoughts on this drive choice? Anything else I should be looking at or is this a good replacement to increase my drive space to 2TB? Thanks for the input. I've found many answers here over the years, but this is my first time posting so be kind. :wink:
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Personally I would choose a different drive.

Whichever drive you choose if the NAS will store the primary copy of any data that is important to you then regular backups of the NAS are important.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I'm not a fan of the Seagate DM drives in ReadyNAS. There are several people here who have had trouble with them. I'd go with the WD20EFRX instead (even though they are not on the HCL they will work well in the duo). Since you no longer have warranty support, there isn't a strong benefit to sticking with the aging HCL.

Upgrade your firmware first.

You might also check this article out: http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why ... -readynas/

If you don't have 4K sector alignment you might want to do a factory reset. It's not strictly needed, but it will improve performance a bit.
Message 3 of 13
hh1011
Aspirant

Thank you both for the quick responses. I did see many recent reviews on the Seagate that were awful and that was enough to make me question if there were better options available. The WD20EFRX looks good; I'll look at it in more detail. Will also review the article you provided, StephenB.
Now, how do I know if I have 4K sector alignment?
Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

hh1011 wrote:
Now, how do I know if I have 4K sector alignment?
Read the article I linked in above - the procedure is in there.
Message 5 of 13
hh1011
Aspirant

I bought two WD30EFRX (3TB) to replace the 1TB drives. I have a good backup of my ReadyNAS data and am ready to proceed with replacing the drives. Is the following a good approach?

Upgrade to latest version of RAIDiator
Do a config backup
Remove both 1TB drives
Install both 3TB drives
Perform factory reset per instructions on link you provided above
Restore Config backup

* Can I then put one of the 1TB drives in bay 1 and let it sync to the new 3TB drive in bay 2 to restore the data? After it syncs, move the 3TB drive from bay 2 to bay 1, install the second new 3TB drive in bay 2 and let it sync?
Message 6 of 13
RX
Luminary
Luminary

hh1011 wrote:
I bought two WD30EFRX (3TB) to replace the 1TB drives. I have a good backup of my ReadyNAS data and am ready to proceed with replacing the drives. Is the following a good approach?

Do a config backup
Remove both 1TB drives
Install both 3TB drives
Restore Config backup

* Can I then put one of the 1TB drives in bay 1 and let it sync to the new 3TB drive in bay 2 to restore the data? After it syncs, move the 3TB drive from bay 2 to bay 1, install the second new 3TB drive in bay 2 and let it sync?

If ever that your RND2110 is a ReadyNAS Duo v1, I believe 3TB drives are not supported as per the HCL. Since I do not own a ReadyNAS Duo v1, I could say that it may or may not work.

For vertical expansion, I would suggest to pull-out disk1 then insert the new drive then let it resync. After the resync process has completed, pull-out disk2 then insert the other new disk then let it resync again.
Message 7 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

Is the 2110 a v1 duo or v2 duo?
http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/
What firmware is on it now?
You can't use drives larger than 2 tb in a duo v1.

Of you have a v2 then....

Yes that procedure is good. You must power down before removing the 1 tb drives and inserting the 3 tb drives of course.
If you have any addons installed, install the, before restoring the config.

Your last question is worrying me.
Firstly you cannot do that, it will not work.
Secondly, where is your backup? It should be on a separate device.

You can retain the 2 disks that are currently in the duo as a secondary backup in case something goes wrong. In this event you could power down, reinsert BOTH of the 1 tb disks and boot up. This should take you back to the original setup. Remember to label the original disks according to slot number.
Message 8 of 13
hh1011
Aspirant

Ixa wrote:
hh1011 wrote:

Do a config backup
Remove both 1TB drives
Install both 3TB drives
Restore Config backup

If ever that your RND2110 is a ReadyNAS Duo v1, I believe 3TB drives are not supported as per the HCL. Since I do not own a ReadyNAS Duo v1, I could say that it may or may not work.

For vertical expansion, I would suggest to pull-out disk1 then insert the new drive then let it resync. After the resync process has completed, pull-out disk2 then insert the other new disk then let it resync again.

Thank you for the response Ixa. My ReadyNAS has been out of warranty for quite some time and I know the drives I purchased are not on the HCL. I'm hoping to also get feedback from StephenB who responded to my previous posts, to confirm I'm following the steps needed to include a factory reset so my new drives are formatted with 4k sector partitions; and to confirm my steps to restore/sync data are accurate.
Message 9 of 13
hh1011
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Is the 2110 a v1 duo or v2 duo?
http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/
What firmware is on it now?
You can't use drives larger than 2 tb in a duo v1.

Of you have a v2 then....

Yes that procedure is good. You must power down before removing the 1 tb drives and inserting the 3 tb drives of course.
If you have any addons installed, install the, before restoring the config.

Your last question is worrying me.
Firstly you cannot do that, it will not work.
Secondly, where is your backup? It should be on a separate device.

You can retain the 2 disks that are currently in the duo as a secondary backup in case something goes wrong. In this event you could power down, reinsert BOTH of the 1 tb disks and boot up. This should take you back to the original setup. Remember to label the original disks according to slot number.

I have the duo v1 running RAIDiator 4.1.14. I went up to the 3TB drives since they weren't much more than the 2TB. Sounds like I'll be returning them to exchange for 2TB.
My backup is on an external hard drive.
Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, 2TB disks are the way to go with the v1.

3TB drives will be recognised with <1TB capacity in the Duo (v1). They are not supported in the Duo (v1) as the Duo (v1) does not support GPT partitioning.
Message 11 of 13
hh1011
Aspirant

Bummer! Guess it's getting time to upgrade the entire unit. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the guidance.
Message 12 of 13
RX
Luminary
Luminary

hh1011 wrote:
Bummer! Guess it's getting time to upgrade the entire unit. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the guidance.

Nice decision! 😄

I strongly suggest you the Intel-based ReadyNAS OS 6 units: http://netgear.com/images/pdf/ReadyNAS_ ... 700_DS.pdf - and of course, HCL still needs to be considered 😄
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements