× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

External USB HDs not connecting since 5.3.11 install

ukbobboy
Luminary

External USB HDs not connecting since 5.3.11 install

Dear Forum Members

I have the following equipment:

ReadyNAS Duo V2 (running firmware 5.3.11), 2 x 2TB WD Green HD.
2 x External Lacie HDs (1 x 500GB & 1 x 160GB)
Windows PC

Both Lacie HDs were plugged into the Duo's back USB ports, they worked fine and could be seen as additional volumes within Dashboard.

However, since the upgrade to Firmware 5.3.11, the external USBs vanished from Dashboard and could no longer be contacted via my Duo v2.

Now, I understand that there may be another firmware release, i.e. RAIDiator 5.3.12, sometime in the future, but is there any chance this new release will fix this silly recently introduced bug?

UK Bob

PS. I realise that the Duo V2 is EOL and 5.3.11 did fix the "Heartbleed" problem but it did also introduced a new problem.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: External USB HDs not connecting since 5.3.11 install

I don't think anything has changed in this regard between 5.3.11 and 5.3.12 beta, but I guess you could try 5.3.12 beta if you like: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=72267

Have you verified your USB HDDs are detected by a PC if you plug them into that?

Are both the external hard drives connected to the rear USB3 ports? Are they detected if plugged into the front USB2 port?
Message 2 of 5
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi mdgm

Thanks for your quick reply, I will now answer your questions in the order they were posted:

First, you said:
I don't think anything has changed in this regard between 5.3.11 and 5.3.12 beta, but I guess you could try 5.3.12 beta if you like: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=72267

Well, if your saying that there will be very little change between 5.3.11 and 5.3.12 (not beta) then OK, I expect as much. However, as for trying out beta firmware, I am far too cautious for that, I intend to wait until the full authorised firmware is released before doing any installing.

Then you went on to ask:
Have you verified your USB HDDs are detected by a PC if you plug them into that?

No, I have not done that yet.

Finally, you asked:
Are both the external hard drives connected to the rear USB3 ports? Are they detected if plugged into the front USB2 port?

Yes, both external HDs were connected to the rear USB3 ports, when I could no longer access them, as mentioned in my first post, I physically disconnected them from my network.

Now, you may wonder why I have not performed any tests on my external HDs to see if they have somehow both become faulty?

Well, I have two main reasons:

a) My external HDs contain old data that I hardly ever use, and so I am not upset that I cannot access my Ex HDs over my network any more.

b) But most importantly, I remember someone posting the exact same problem, i.e. no longer able to access their Ex HD via their ReadyNAS since the installation of 5.3.11. Unfortunately, I have been unable to fined that post again and so add my voice to that already reported problem.

Anyway, I will wait until 5.3.12 is released and try to use my Ex HDs again or simply retire them to a cupboard.

UK Bob

PS. BTW, I am sure I've seen you in the Plex (NAS) forum, can you let me know if there is a Plex pdf User Guide available?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is an article providing general advice on NAS units and Plex on the Plex web site.
Message 4 of 5
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi mdgm

Cheers for your quick reply but, as you can guess, I am not looking for general advice I was hoping (against hope) that a downloadable manual was available, something I could gain a basic understanding of Plex from, e.g. like the ReadyNAS hardware and software manuals.

I guess that's not to be so I'll soldier on.

UK Bob
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements