× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to restore from Time Machine but it can't find it!

ToriMac
Aspirant

Need to restore from Time Machine but it can't find it!

Hi

I'm Tori and whilst I've had my nasbox since 2011 I'm only now having problems - most notably with my Time Machine backup. After problems with my MacBook Pro, the guys at Apple did a full reinstall of the OS to resolve them. That was fine because I know I'd last backed up to Time Machine on ReadyNas only the day before.... Here comes the but

It could see the Time Machine backup but couldn't log on. By the time I worked out the userid and password - it stopped being able to see it,

- Having got my laptop back this morning and tried to rebuild based on Time Machine - my macbook saw the ReadyNAS time machine as an option but tried to get me logging on as a systems administrator. I would't accept my password so I went ahead without the restore so that I could access the nasbox and try and do it as a simple Time Machine restore. It could however see the shares, folders and other things on the nasbox but no reference to Time Machine.
- Alongside this I logged into Frontview on my husband's laptop and realised that it shows you have to log in with ReadyNAS as the user. I thought I'd reset the password so that I knew for sure was it was but it wouldn't let me. Anyway I figured out what it probably was by the number of *'s in the password box and went back to my macbook
- now, I can still see all of the shares but it won't recognise there being any attached Time Machine drives. I've tried going back to the automated restore assistant but that too no longer finds the nabs as an option.

Please Help! My life is on that time machine backup on this Nasbox. The whole reason for having this RAID networked storage is to have a failsafe and I'm sure there must be an easy to get it recognised before I start to panic too much.

Many thanks in advance,
Tori
Message 1 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: Need to restore from Time Machine but it can't find it!

Can you check on your NAS if you can see /C/.timemachine
see if the sparsebundle file is still there

also. check these posts:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=76648&p=427273&hilit=restore#p427273
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=63986
Message 2 of 12
ToriMac
Aspirant

there's no /.timeframe there 😞

I did see a thread which mentioned there might be a time lapse before it becomes visible again so I've been checking every few hours but nothing magical has appeared
Message 3 of 12
ToriMac
Aspirant

I know all of the Time Machine data must be on there somewhere as I checked it had completed the backup successfully before letting them re-install the Apple OS on my macbook. Can we really not see anything time machine related on the nasbox anywhere? It seems that you only get to tick a box on the front view tab which enables it (it was set to on)
Message 4 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The .timemachine directory (containing your TM backups) is a hidden directory.

What version of RAIDiator is on the NAS?
Message 5 of 12
ToriMac
Aspirant

RAIDiator 4.1.8 (1.00a0420

I was going to do an upgrade but fear that I will definitely lose all my macbook backups if I do

I've changed the password for the Time Machine backups through the front view now but that still hasn't helped any 😞 Would having gone into that sheet of front view deleted the directory? Surely not! As an ex-developer I would have been shot for designing such a 'feature'
Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need to update the firmware. Updating the firmware leaves data intact

4.1.8 added support for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and was release back in September 2011

4.1.13 was released in November 2013 and added support for Time Machine on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

What version of Mac OS X did they put on your Mac? Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite is the latest.
Message 7 of 12
ToriMac
Aspirant

Aha - cool will try that then, thanks. I'm on Yosemite 10.10. It was the move to that which sent my macbook into a " go-slow / throw it out the window mode" which apparently messes with the partitioning. Hence the rebuild - post backup!

Will let you know how it goes very shortly - cross your fingers for me 🙂
Message 8 of 12
ToriMac
Aspirant

Update done - situation no change. If the threads I've seen about things disappearing for a couple of hours are right then I guess I should check back later this afternoon.

Any other ideas very welcomely received thought.

Cheers
Tori
Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could also try rebooting your Mac.
Message 10 of 12
ToriMac
Aspirant

I've rebooted the MAC and still no joy. Any more ideas?
Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements