× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: External USB drive no longer showing - Can't back up to it now

lupinehorror
Aspirant

External USB drive no longer showing - Can't back up to it now

hi all. i've been using an external 2TB USB drive to backup to for the last 6 months. backing up from a ReadyNAS 104. i keep the drive at work and every two weeks bring it home to update it. this has worked fine until last weekend. i connected it as usual and hit the backup button which is linked to my backup job. nothing happened. i fired up the admin interface and the USB drive no longer shows as a device. the logs state that 'an external device has been connected' but it doesn't appear anywhere. it's not browsable in the shares section either. if i plug it into my linux box all the data on it shows. if i plug it into my mac mini, again, there's the data. i've restarted the NAS. i've tried different USB ports. still nothing. help!!
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Did you recently upgrade to 6.4.0?

Message 2 of 6
lupinehorror
Aspirant

hi. thanks for your reply. i upgraded over a month ago i think. it did work after that.
Message 3 of 6
lupinehorror
Aspirant

giving this a bump...any ideas folks?
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

First I'd try inserting the drive into a windows PC.  If Windows offers to repair it, then let it.  While there, make sure the backups are accessible.  Then try again with the NAS.

If that doesn't help - if you are running 6.4.0, then try the more recent 6.4.1 beta. 

If that doesn't work, then you might need to use Netgear support.

Message 5 of 6
lupinehorror
Aspirant

hey. thanks for replying again. no errors were found on disk (just tested it again) but will take it home and try it again tonight. cheers.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements