× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP Server - No more than 11MB/s if FTPS is activated, without FTPS I get 80-90 MB/s

clamatac
Aspirant

FTP Server - No more than 11MB/s if FTPS is activated, without FTPS I get 80-90 MB/s

Hi,

first of all sorry for my english.

I have just bought a ReadyNas104, by now I have configured the FTP SERVER, it is easy, it works ok but one thing fails. I have tested it in my gigabyte lan with a PC-W7 and iMac-Mavericks and with just FTP I get about 80-90MB/s (perfect!) but If I activate the FTPS option the performance speed falls till 10-11 MB.

I know FTPS can make lost some speed but not so much!

Before buying the nas, I use a W7 Filezilla Server. At first, I get the same problem, but changing INTERNAL BUFFER SIZE parameter get it working.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Message 1 of 14
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FTP Server - No more than 11MB/s if FTPS is activated, without FTPS I get 80-90 MB/s

Hello clamatac, 

First off, your english is amazing so don't be sorry about it. 🙂

I agree that the speed drop is a bit drastic, I would like to know more information for us to help you with the issue you are having. I have listed down some of them below: 

-Firmware version 

-I would also like to know if you have jumbo frames enabled or disabled? 

I'll be waiting for your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 14
clamatac
Aspirant

Re: FTP Server - No more than 11MB/s if FTPS is activated, without FTPS I get 80-90 MB/s

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer

I have ReadyNas 104 with firmware 6.2.4

Sorry, I do not know what jumbo frames are, where can i look at it?

Greetings

Message 3 of 14
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello again clamatac, 

It does not really say jumbo frames though, please check your MTU. Go to Network, click the gear icon and then "Settings" and see what the value of your MTU is.

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 14
clamatac
Aspirant

ok

1500 is the value, I have not changed it in any momment.

I have detected another problem, today the NAS 104 has crashed twice, ping did not respond, so I have to restart it manually taking out the power cable. Both times have ocurred while a couple of friends were taking files from my ftp. 

I thing both things have someting in common.

Greetings

Carlos

Message 5 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

clamatac please send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 6 of 14
clamatac
Aspirant

email send.

before downloading the log, I have download 1 file from the ftp with FTPS activated, and 1 without FTPS activated.

Message 7 of 14
clamatac
Aspirant

NAS has completely crash again, I have send an email with new logs afters this 3rd totally crash

Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 9 of 14
clamatac
Aspirant

done

everything continues the same

very slow with ftps, and the worse, crashes continues.

I have send new logs via e-mail

Message 10 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does it only crash if you are using FTPS?

The 104 has limited resources and the seucirty overhead of ftps would make a bigger difference to performance than it would with other models.

Message 11 of 14
clamatac
Aspirant

no, it crashes in general

I have bought it in Amazon.es and I have asked them a change for a new unit, the new unit will arrive me during the week. 

Message 12 of 14
clamatac
Aspirant

Hi people,

I have changed my 104 unit for a new one, thanks Amazon for the fast replacement! 🙂

In this new nas 104, with the latest firmware 6.2.5, I have no new crashes! it's working like a rock since more than a week.

Unfortunately the problem with the FTPS speeds continues.

For discarding problems with my home-ftth-router I have connected my PC directly to the nas, and it happens the same, 60-80MB/s with FTP, and 10-11MB/s with FTPS.

I also have opened and official ticket --> NETGEAR Support Case #25479470, but it seems that the official support is "playing" with me. A second level  technician called me and connected to my PC/NAS with a team_viewer_9_session. He just check that the problem is real. Now it is scaled to 3rd level, but they have asked me for full remote access 24 h, obviously I have said NO. I am not allowing no one entering my pc without me being in site to see what is being doing.

Please, any help would be great.

Greetings

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@clamatac wrote:

I also have opened and official ticket --> NETGEAR Support Case #25479470, but it seems that the official support is "playing" with me. A second level  technician called me and connected to my PC/NAS with a team_viewer_9_session. He just check that the problem is real. Now it is scaled to 3rd level, but they have asked me for full remote access 24 h, obviously I have said NO. I am not allowing no one entering my pc without me being in site to see what is being doing.

If I have a chance I will confirm FTP speed.  Though I'm surprised by your 90 MB/s result with the RN100 series.  I've never seen anything close to that with my RN102.

FWIW, Netgear often does need remote access to troubleshoot problems.  I've let them diagnose mine a couple of times (perhaps I am more trusting than you).  You could counter-offer to install putty on the PC, and have them diagnose the NAS over teamviewer. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements