× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fast Copy a File from USB to ReadyNas

n4tl
Follower

Fast Copy a File from USB to ReadyNas

I'd be happy if some of you have a hint for me, how to speed up my "standard copy procedure", which is "copying one file from an attached (at the ReadNas) USB-drive to the ReadyNas internal Harddisk".

Now i do it via OSX finder on my macbook pro, having both drives mounted. While my macbook is in the network over wlan.
Quite clear the files are actually moved over Wlan - which is why it's terrible slow.

There hopefully is a way to copy from the ReadyNas USB attached drive to the ReadyNas without transmitting files over the wlan.
It's already there, if i would completely move the whole content of an USB-attached flash drive to the ReadyNas (ReadyNas Frontview > Volumes > USB-Storage > USB Flash Device Option).
But first I dont use a flash drive, and second i just want to copy one or some files to the ReadyNas - and not all of them.

BTW - it seems just moving a file from one folder on the ReadyNas to another folder is slow for the same reason.
So how do you handle this?

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 8
supertix
Aspirant

Re: Fast Copy a File from USB to ReadyNas

i'm also searching a way to copy files directly from "ReadyNas Duo" to "usb disk" attached via USB 2.0 without network. I have only 100Mbit, so the copy via switch is very slow (only 10/12 Mbyte/sec). The only solution i've found is using cp command from putty console. Is there any alternative solution? thanks in advance!
Message 2 of 8
mjw1
Aspirant

I can think of two ways:
1) Setup a backup job the copies between the USB and the internal volume
2) ssh into the ReadyNAS and use the "cp" command. The internal files are located under /c and the USB files are located under /USB
Message 3 of 8
tester1
Tutor

I have similar issues.
I have a WD 2 TB USB disk with a content of 1.33 TB and want to transfere most of the content to my new RNDP600U
I tried several things, but Im certainly not happy with the transfer rate compared to when I have 2 x 2 TB disk and transfere one content to another through a laptop
In this case I can transfer with 18-20 mb/s

First I tried to hook the USB Hard drive into the back of the NAS and I was got a transfere rate of 800-900 Kbs/s
Then I hook the USB harddrive to my Laptop and the Laptop to the NAS with USB and I got 2 mb/s
Finanally I hooked the USB hard drive to my Netgear 3700 wireless router, the NAS to the same router and so my Laptop and I finally got 10-11 mb/s

But with this speed its goting to take 35-40 hours to transfere my files.

Am I missing something ?
Message 4 of 8
mjw1
Aspirant

How is the USB drive formatted? I'm guessing NTFS since you mention connecting it to a laptop. The ReadyNAS performs exceptionally poorly when connected via USB to NTFS formatted drives. All of the speeds you quote even slower than I would expect though, assuming that I have understood you correctly i.e. 10-11 mb/s means 10-11 mega-bits per second which works out to be about 1.3 MB/s (mega-bytes per second). I'm also assuming that you have filled all 6 bays of your Ultra so it is capable of the maximum I/O performance.

USB 2.0 will limit the maximum attainable speed to about 25 MB/s (note mega-bytes not bits) and I would think that the Ultra 6 Plus should be able to reach that maximum rate for an EXT3 formatted USB drive, but probably is significantly lower for NTFS. For NTFS you are better off connecting the USB drive to your laptop (Windows has a higher performance NTFS driver than the ReadyNAS), then copying the file from the laptop to the ReadyNAS over a wired gigabit ethernet connection (make sure that the link is definitely running at 1Gb/s and not 100Mb/s). Decent gigabit ethernet can support up to 120MB/s over a Cat 5e or better cable so it shouldn't be the bottleneck here. If your laptop has an eSATA 2.0 connection then you should would only be limited by the performance of your laptop and USB drive and you could approach 90MB/s or higher. But if you only have USB 2.0 then you are not going to see much more than 25 MB/s.

Count your lucky stars you don't have an X6. It would take the best part of a week to copy a 2TB drive to the X6 via direct USB connection!
Message 5 of 8
jeflloyd
Aspirant

I had to transfer 236GB of files from a USB HDD. I think the latter was NTFS formatted, although I can't check this at the moment. Using the backup route, I achieved 29MB/sec. This compares with around 3 over the network. The backup method is simple, fast and doesn't tie up the router.
Message 6 of 8
mjw1
Aspirant

Latest versions of RAIDiator contain an improved version of the ntfs-3G driver so perhaps this has nudged up performance slightly. But your network based transfer speeds sound terrible. Perhaps you have a slow network connection.
Message 7 of 8
icy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ran over the same pbm, to copy some(40gb) files placed here and there in multiple folder...
ssh > cp answerd my need but it's not very friendly (cmd line, no % indicator) and not stackable ... a simple, build-in, web file manager would be welcome in a future firmware release...
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements