× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

File Permissions and Move vs. Copy

kcirillo
Guide

File Permissions and Move vs. Copy

Model : RN31600-100NAS

Firmware : 6.4.2

HDD Configuration : RAID-5 w/ 3  6TB WD Red Pro

Hello forum, I recently upgraded my my NAS from an Ultra 6 Plus to a new 316 series. I have created all the same shares I had before on my Ultra 6 Pro and transfered data accordingly.

On the Ultra 6, I would mount the "C drive" and access all sub folders and shares under that. If I wanted to move a file from one folder to another I would just open two finder or explorer windows and move accordingly. Note that I am moving, not copying, so the move is almost instantaneous. With the 316 it seems that "c" is not the root of the directory and "data" is. So I mount "data" to access all my sub folders. Here are the problems I am having trouble figuring out.

When I try to move a file from one folder to another, in most cases, I receive an error from my OS stating that :

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “file name” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

However, if I download it to my desktop and then upload it to the new folder, there are no errors. I assume that this would be a permission issue for the shares that I have set up. However, I have given the same permissions to all shares, giving the admin user Read/Write network access as well as setting admin as the folder owner. When mounting "data", I do authenticate with admin. I recieve the above message or similar from multiple OS platforms.

The second issue I am confused about is when I am able to move a file without recieving the error, it doesn't move and instead copies the file as if I where transfering it to a different volume.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: File Permissions and Move vs. Copy

1. Are you using AFP or SMB? Which version of OS X?

2. That is normal. You might find this post an interesting read.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements