× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firefly incompatible with iTunes 10.5

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Firefly incompatible with iTunes 10.5

I updated to iTunes 10.5 today. Unfortunately whilst I can see my Firefly libraries as shared libraries in iTunes I can no longer connect to them.
Message 1 of 36
k0nan
Aspirant

Re: Firefly incompatible with iTunes 10.5

same here

readynas ultra 4 RNDu4000
RAIDiator 4.2.20-T4
just updated itunes to version 10.5

no way to see itunes Server
keeps Loading "Itunes Server"....
Message 2 of 36
k0nan
Aspirant

sadly i read that it's an old bug reported more than 1 year ago between firefly users and that firefly itself has been abandoned.
the good news is that there is actually a working fix which is switching from firefly (code name mt-daapd) to forked-daapd, a fork of firefly
http://www.ohloh.net/p/forked-daapd

i don't know if the readynas team had planned to remove firefly and make the switch to forked-daapd

otherways, downgrade to itunes 10.3.1
http://ismashphone.com/2011/06/how-to-downgrade-itunes-105-beta-to-itunes-103.html
Message 3 of 36
dilmah
Aspirant

I too have the problem with firefly and upgrade to ITunes 10.5 , But like the previous problem I am going to wait and see if readynas comes up with a patch to rectify the problem for me.
Message 4 of 36
kmaranto
Aspirant

I am having the same problem. I am hoping readynas comes up with a patch soon.
Message 5 of 36
jelockwood1
Guide

Apparently itunes 10.5 has broken the ability to connect to DAAP servers like FireFly, this is affecting other NAS makes as well since they all use the same obsolete Firefly code.

I have previously posted a feature request for NetGear to switch to the forked-daap instead. See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55446

As I pointed out a user has managed to port it to the Qnap NAS which has similar Linux problems as the version of Linux on the ReadyNAS (i.e. an ancient version of libc).

As this is now the second time this year that Apple has broken support for daap, NetGear really, really need to wake up and replace the long discontinued FireFly code.
Message 6 of 36
par9
Aspirant

What about adding another server that supports the standard moving forward?
Message 7 of 36
rboyd13
Aspirant

What are you guys doing to work around this? I am having the same problem as well but I can't decide what to do (downgrade to 10.3 or wait if another solution pops up somewhere). Its very inconvenient not being able to have the music in iTunes! bummer....
Message 8 of 36
grimloch
Aspirant

Forked-daapd please! I'm tired of being jealous of qnap..
Message 9 of 36
TeknoJnky
Hero

+1
Message 10 of 36
thetalm
Aspirant

Is there any response from Netgear guys ?

Anyway, a contribute from Apple Community Forums (posted by Deledrius), from the thread about the same issue:

The problem (for any server software based on mt-daapd) is that iTunes now seems to require the SupportsUpdate field in the initial server-info handshake, which mt-daapd doesn't supply. Adding it to mt-daapd (even with a value of False) works with iTunes 10.5 fine
Message 11 of 36
dsm1212
Apprentice

Mine stopped too, but I have desktop computers in the house so I imported the files into iTunes using the share from the readynas and they get shared from that system for now. For desktops i always did this anyhow because the organization features are better and it will share to my appletv which firefly never did. That might be in forked daap now too though.

Steve
Message 12 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

thetalm wrote:

Anyway, a contribute from Apple Community Forums (posted by Deledrius), from the thread about the same issue:

The problem (for any server software based on mt-daapd) is that iTunes now seems to require the SupportsUpdate field in the initial server-info handshake, which mt-daapd doesn't supply. Adding it to mt-daapd (even with a value of False) works with iTunes 10.5 fine

Do you have a link to this thread? Does Deledrius's post specifically refer to iTunes 10.5 or are you looking at an old thread referring to a compatibility issue that developed last year and was addressed by Apple?
Message 13 of 36
k0nan
Aspirant

moaaaarrrr

please +1'd the feature request topic
Message 14 of 36
jelockwood1
Guide

It might be better for people to post their letters of support calling for NetGear to replace FireFly with forked-daap in this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55446&p=314195 as this other thread is in the official Feature Requests forum and therefore might get more consideration.
Message 15 of 36
k0nan
Aspirant

jelockwood wrote:
It might be better for people to post their letters of support calling for NetGear to replace FireFly with forked-daap in this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55446&p=314195 as this other thread is in the official Feature Requests forum and therefore might get more consideration.

that's what i mean 😉

please +1'd that topic!
Message 16 of 36
thetalm
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Do you have a link to this thread? Does Deledrius's post specifically refer to iTunes 10.5 or are you looking at an old thread...?

Obviosly I'm referring the current issue with 10.5.
Anyway, I place the link, as it's just been posted a possible workaround I had no time to test yet

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16503584#16503584
Message 17 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An add-on has been made available which fixes the problem. See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58261
Message 18 of 36
k0nan
Aspirant

you guys are really playing rock n roll 🙂
Message 19 of 36
hibernian56
Aspirant

Doesn't work. I can install ok;
The iTunesServer add-on has been successfully installed.

Then I get this cryptic message;
ERROR: start-stop-daemon -S -q -x /usr/sbin/mt-daapd

Any ideas? iTunes is driving me crazy, I have lots of music in my iTunes library my mac mini server, with the music on the ReadyNAS. Made the mistake of upgrading and now nothing works.

At this stage I want to take iTunes out for a long walk in a forrest late at night... Greedy Apple strikes again.
Message 20 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you install one of the earlier versions of the update? If so, that would explain why you have problems. The current version of the add-on is 1.0.3. I have a suggestion here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328221#p328221 or here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58468&p=328951#p328951
Message 21 of 36
hibernian56
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Did you install one of the earlier versions of the update? If so, that would explain why you have problems. The current version of the add-on is 1.0.3. I have a suggestion here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328221#p328221 or here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58468&p=328951#p328951

Thanks mdgm,

I just ordered an extra 2tb drive, going to do a backup, update and factory default when it arrives. I will wait until then to clean things up, this will give me a few days to tidy up the music meta data anyway.

How do I access the system folders to manually configure?
Message 22 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What do you want to manually configure?

You'll need to install the Firefly update addon after doing the factory default.
Message 23 of 36
Cromm
Aspirant

I've updated the server to 1.0.3 but I can't find the application on the Streaming or Install-Add on tabs. Logs show that it's been installed. I've even rebooted and tried again and still it's not showing up. Running firmware 4.1.8. Anyone have any suggestions?
Message 24 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Clear web browser cache

If still not visible do OS re-install then install add-on again
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements