× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update from 6.7.1 to 6.7.3 Has Failed

McRob1
Luminary

Firmware Update from 6.7.1 to 6.7.3 Has Failed

I just attempted to update the firmware from 6.7.1 to 6.7.3 and now I get the following when trying to boot.

mount_block_root +1f1

all 6 drive lights are green

I have tried using a paper clip to reset back to firmware 6.7.1 but I cannot get to the screen to reinstall the firmware.

All I get is the message above.

Any ideas on how to get this NAS working again?

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 50

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 50

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try USB Boot Recovery.

Message 2 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

I have tried USB boot recovery but I cannot get the the boot point where you answer any questions.

Holding the reset button and booting only gets me to the mount_block_root +1f1 message.

I don't get any option to do any kind of reset or factory reset or anything.

Message 3 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try USB Boot Recovery again with another USB key.

Which version of Windows are you using to create the USB Boot Recovery key?

Message 4 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

I will try another USB drive with the latest firmware.

I am using windows ver 10 to copy the firmware to the USB drive.

Message 5 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

I downloaded a new version of firmware 6.1.7 and used winzip to extract both files to my deskop.

I then grabbed a new USB drive and copied the extracted file "ReadyNASOS-6.7.3-x86_64" to the USB drive using windows 10  file explorer.

I inserted the USB drive into the front USB slot and held down the reset button with a paper clip while I turned on power.

All 6 drives were installed and had solid green lights on.  The usb flash drive was also lit.

The unit went thru a couple of quick boot messages on the display and then displayed the "mount_block_root +1f1" message.

I tried removing all 6 drives with the USB drive still inserted in the front slot and did a reset button paper clip startup again.  Same message.

I then tried a brand new drive inserted in slot 1 with a paper clip reset button boot.  No other drives were installed.  Same message.

It appears that the firmware update has killed the NAS again.

This same thing happened on this NAS two years ago with a firmware update and I was required to pay for support to get it running again.

It ended up being a faulty firmware version before if I remember correctly.

I am hoping that I don't have to pay to get it running again.

Message 6 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The instructions are not to hold the reset button. The instructions are in https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Systems with a recent BIOS should automatically boot off USB. With older systems you need to follow the instructions in the KB for booting off USB. On the 516 with an older BIOS it can take a few goes to get it to boot off USB.

Message 7 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

I have now tried two different USB drives.

I downloaded the recovery tool to my desktop.

I downloaded the latest firmware to my desktop.

I copied both files from the firmware download into the X86 folder in the recovery tool otherwise the program cannot find the firmware.

I wish the instructions told you where to put the files.

I had the program format the USB drive and set it for ReadyNAS-OS 6 (x86)

I selected my model as RN312/RN314/etc

I selected the firmware image as ReadyNASOS-6.7.3-x86.img

I selected create.  Then after it finished I selected exit.

I checked the USB drive using file manager in windows 10

It had multiple files on it like NTGR_USBOOT_INFO, syslinux.cfg, syslinux, initrid, kernel, ReadyNAS0S-6.7.3-x86_64.

I inserted the USB drive into the front port of my Readynas 516

I pressed the power button under the front cover.

After the front display OK button turned light dimmed I pressed and held the OK button until I got a message.

The message said something like boot from external USB drive.

I continued to hold the OK button.

The NAS then displayed the same message "mount_block_root +1f1"

I don't think it booted from the USB drive.  The USB drive light was slowly blinking.

I tried the same thing without holding the OK button and it never displayed the message about booting from the external USB drive.

I tried two different USB drives.  One is a 1 GB drive and one is a 16 GB drive.

I tried both back USB slots also with the same results.

I must be doing something wrong but I have no idea what it is.

I hope you can help.

Message 8 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM with a suggestion you could try.

Message 9 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

I did exactly as you suggested in your PM and had exactly the same results as prior.

The updated syslinux file made no difference.

The NAS is now no longer functional after the firmware update.

Message 10 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you another PM requesting some more details.

Message 11 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like your system is now fixed and running fine.

Using Rufus a USB Boot key was created that could be successfully booted from.

Then I fixed the full root issue some other users have seen.

Message 12 of 50
nsne
Virtuoso

@McRob1, can you please explain the steps you needed to take to resolve this? My 314 is in the same state but I'm not having any luck with the suggested solutions.

Message 13 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

The real issue I had was getting a USB drive to be read by the NAS as a boot device.

MDGM suggested I use a software program called Rufus to create a bootable USB device.  Windows 10 would not format a USB device that the NAS considered bootable.

After using the default settings in Rufus to format and make the USB device bootable I used the Netgear USB recovery tool to add the firmware and image data to the USB device.

Now the trick is to get the NAS to actually boot from the USB device.  When it boots from the USB device it will install the new firmware from it.

My NAS 516 required me to insert the USB device into any USB port and then power up the NAS.  I had to wait for the front panel to go dark and then press where the OK button was lit to get the NAS to give me a message asking if I wanted to boot from a USB device.  I continued to press on the OK symbol to get the NAS to boot from the now bootable USB device.

I am not sure how your NAS314 works but there should be instruction links provided in this post by MDGM.

Then after it loaded the new firmware the NAS still had a problem booting.

It got to 77% complete and then started giving messages about boot failures and that it was retrying.

I was able to restart the NAS and get it into service mode so that MDGM could correct an issue with the OS partition being full.

I have no idea how or what he did to correct that issue but within a few minutes he remotely changed something and rebooted the NAS.

No data was lost and it is now running 6.7.3 firmware.

If you need more info let me know and have hope.

Message 14 of 50
nsne
Virtuoso

Thanks. I've now tried with three four different USB drives. Two Three (a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB, a generic 1GB and a Staples 4GB) simply don't work. The 314 just tries to boot up as usual and I get the recurring "mount_block_root + 1f1" error code.

The third USB drive (a Patriot 8GB) gets a bit further. After one brief blink of activity on the USB drive's status light, I can see "Netgear Storage / Welcome [ ]" on the 314's LCD and the NAS power button blinks steadily, but there's no USB activity and nothing seems to be happening. At no point do I see "USB Recovery Mode" or anything on the LCD.

I've now left the 314 in that limbo state for 20+ minutes two times. No joy. 

All three USB drives have been formatted using the default options in Rufus, and I've approached the USB Recovery creation two ways: Both with and without clicking "Format" in the USB Recovery creation tool. When I don't format, there's an extra "LOCALE" folder and an autorun executable. When I do format, those two files aren't there.

I don't really have any more USB drives that I can try. What size and model USB did you use?

Message 15 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

I guess I got lucky.

I used a Sandisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 that was 16 GB in size.  I bought it at Costco some time ago.

MDGM gave me a link to a updated syslinux application file that I replaced a older version in the X86 folder.

Maybe that made the difference.

My NAS516 required me to time the pressing of the OK button very quickly after initial power on or it would not give me the message "boot from USB device".  I had to wait until just after the front panel went dark to then quickly press and firmly hold where the OK button was.

If I missed the timing by a second I would not get the message "boot from USB device" and I knew I needed to start over with the power up.

My NAS was running firmware 6.7.1 which according to MDGM would automatically boot from a USB device.  That did not work at all.

I had to press the OK button.

When I actually got it to work the NAS display said loading FW.  After 50 tries I was really happy I got a new message.

Good Luck and there is hope.

Message 16 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you try a 3rd party tool you do need to make sure that the files from the x86 folder go on the USB key (initrd.gz, kernel etc.).

On a more recent BIOS the system should automatically boot off a NETGEAR USB Service key. On an older BIOS on the RN314 you'd need to press and hold the backup button on the front, turn the NAS on, and continue holding the backup button to get it to boot off USB 

The USB key does need to be syslinux bootable.

Message 17 of 50
nsne
Virtuoso

I did that. Tried all formatting methods, held the Backup button, etc. Nothing is working.

Message 18 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you remember to right click the program and choose Run as Administrator? Even if you're logged in as an Administrator running as an Administrator can help.

You may have tried incompatible USB keys.

Message 19 of 50
nsne
Virtuoso

Yes. I've done everything that was suggested. I got online with chat support and I can't even access the boot menu. Something's really wrong. It sounds like they're replacing the chassis.

Message 20 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is weird. I have several ReadyNAS units and have been able to successfully use USB Boot Recovery with any of them I've wanted to.

I do think either the USB keys you've tried are incompatible or something has gone wrong creating the USB Boot Recovery key.

Anyway we do reach a point where we feel that considering all that's been tried in cases like this that an RMA is the way forward.

Message 21 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

Has anyone considered creating a USB drive that they know works and sending it to a user that is having problems.  Netgear might be able to avoid the expense of returning a NAS.

Message 22 of 50
nsne
Virtuoso

The "known working" USB is a solution I would have preferred — or even a list of verified compatible USB sticks. I ordered a newer USB stick but it will take longer to get here than a replacement NAS. It might even be worth Netgear's while to include a USB Recovery stick with each NAS.

Incidentally, I tried six different USB sticks in the end: three SanDisk (two of the same model), a Patriot, a Staples and a no-name. And I tried formatting each of them using different methods: with Rufus and then drag-and-dropping the USB Recovery files, with the USB Recovery tool alone, and with a mix of the two. None worked. But then, my NAS won't even boot into the Boot Menu for maintenance mode, so it might be too far gone to use USB Recovery.

Message 23 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

My NAS516 would not boot into recovery mode either.  It must have had a corrupted firmware load.  Thats why all I could get was a message "mount_block_root +1f1".

I also needed to press the buttons during startup at exactly the right times in order to get the unit to even look for a USB drive to boot from.

When you get done looking at all the posibilities you have about a 1% chance of making it work when you include how difficult it is to create a USB stick that also works.

There are so many ways to not get things exactly perfect that it is very rare to make it work.

I think my firmware load to 6.7.3 failed on the NAS516 becasue of a prior issue with the OS being full.  I was able to install the new firmware on two other NAS units without issue.

Perhaps Netgear should do a better job of doing a quick test on a unit before a new firmware is installed just to make sure everything is ready.  They may want to include that test in the firmware update tool.

I still have my USB drive that worked available if that would help anyone.

Message 24 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@nsne wrote:

But then, my NAS won't even boot into the Boot Menu for maintenance mode, so it might be too far gone to use USB Recovery.

Not being able to boot into the boot menu is usually one of the rare situations where USB Boot Recovery actually is worth a try.

Message 25 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements