× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Updates : Long Term Support vs Stable

matthew1471
Guide

Firmware Updates : Long Term Support vs Stable

Hi,

I have 2 NASes, one set to Long Term Support the other to Stable. Stable got an update (v6.10.8) that included a security fix.. but LTS (v6.9.6) has not.

Is LTS Firmware officially discontinued? or is the security issue just not something that impacted the LTS version?

I tried looking for details on the security issue on Netgear's site but it didn't seem to feature it.

I'm greatful that Netgear are still issuing firmware considering the ReadyNAS line is now end-of-sale and end-of-life, just need clarity on which firmware release is the best to be on given the limited support options remaining.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Firmware Updates : Long Term Support vs Stable

While @Marc_V described what Netgear claims to be the case for LTS, the reality is that it has received no updates for some time, security or otherwise.  6.9.6 did come out after 6.10.x, but that's the last update of the LTS channel, almost 2 years ago.   If you change the update preference to stable, then it should find 6.10.8 and offer you that update.  I've been running LTS for some time on my main and backup NAS, but it's been at 6.9.6 for so long that I think it's time to move to 6.10.x.  None of the enhancements for 6.10.x are something I need, but I do want to be as up to date on security issues as the ancient Linux distro the OS is based on allows.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@matthew1471

Long-Term Support channel will allow you to stay on specific major releases (starting with OS 6.9). LTS channel will provide you with minor release updates for bug fixes and security updates, but no added features. This should have updated to 6.10. and in order to get the update for LTS it requires you to restart the NAS.

Stable allows you to get the latest features and benefits as quickly as they are released.

Please see FW update channels

HTH

Message 2 of 5
matthew1471
Guide

Rebooted and checked for updates but still on 6.9 branch and no update offered with security fixes
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@matthew1471 wrote:
Rebooted and checked for updates but still on 6.9 branch and no update offered with security fixes

You could just manually install 6.10.0 if you like.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

While @Marc_V described what Netgear claims to be the case for LTS, the reality is that it has received no updates for some time, security or otherwise.  6.9.6 did come out after 6.10.x, but that's the last update of the LTS channel, almost 2 years ago.   If you change the update preference to stable, then it should find 6.10.8 and offer you that update.  I've been running LTS for some time on my main and backup NAS, but it's been at 6.9.6 for so long that I think it's time to move to 6.10.x.  None of the enhancements for 6.10.x are something I need, but I do want to be as up to date on security issues as the ancient Linux distro the OS is based on allows.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements