× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update notification not about latest version

Piglet
Luminary

Firmware update notification not about latest version

For a long time now, the firmware update notifications I get on the admin page are not for the latest version.

I'm currently on OS 6.2.2 (RN104) and the notification wants me to download 6.4.0. Why not 6.5.0 or at least 6.4.2? Is this by design or a bug?

As far as I can tell, it would be OK to manually download and install 6.5.0, right?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Piglet
Luminary

After kohdee had a look at my NAS in Diagnostics mode the update check now returns the current 6.5 version. Man Happy

I don't know what he did to fix it, maybe he wants to elaborate on that in case others encounter the same issue.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 18

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Piglet,

According to RAIDiator 6.5.0 release notes, RN102 & RN104 systems running firmware older than 6.2.1 should first update to 6.2.5, then update from 6.2.5 to 6.5.0. I guess try updating to 6.2.5 first, am not sure but maybe this is a typo error that it should be older than 6.2.5. But I will still check with the eng'g or maybe the team who publishes the notes.

Regards,

Message 2 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After you install 6.2.5 you will then need to use this workaround to update to 6.5.0.

Message 3 of 18
Piglet
Luminary

So the admin interface directing me to 6.4.0 is a bug then? My question was mainly about not getting notified about the latest version available. I had read the mentioned release notes and they do not say that I need to update to 6.2.5 first.

It says only RN104 systems older than 6.2.1 (i.e. 6.2.0 and below) need to do that. Is that not correct?

Message 4 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In that case I guess you could try updating direct to 6.5.0

Message 5 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Piglet,

It is probably the NAS has an old cached version in the firmware checker.

The reason why it is recommended not to jump straight to the latest is to prevent a potential bricked unit after doing so because of very old current FW loaded to the NAS.

Regards,

Message 6 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Piglet,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 7 of 18
Piglet
Luminary

The issue is not really resolved. My initial question was about why the admin pages didn't give me the latest version to download, and so far there doesn't seem to be a consensus about which version I should upgrade to from 6.2.2.

There seems to be no clear upgrade path. So far I've been recommended to upgrade to 6.2.5, 6.4.0 & 6.5.0. It would be nice to know if it's safe to go directly to 6.5 (as indicated by the knowledegbase article).

(I did try to access the admin pages with another browser and it still wanted to update to 6.4.0. So it's not a browser caching issue.)

Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Piglet wrote:

There seems to be no clear upgrade path. So far I've been recommended to upgrade to 6.2.5, 6.4.0 & 6.5.0. It would be nice to know if it's safe to go directly to 6.5 (as indicated by the knowledegbase article).

There is a clear upgrade path.  As you know, both the 6.5 release notes and the 6.4 upgrade faq currently say that "RN102 & RN104 systems running firmware older than 6.2.1 should first update to 6.2.5, then update from 6.2.5 to 6.5.0." Folks with newer firmware can skip the 6.2.5 step

You could of course take a more conservative approach and upgrade to 6.2.5 first anyway. I'd certainly skip 6.4.0 (even if the the web ui offers it).  If you must install 6.4.x, install 6.4.2 instead.

Message 9 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Piglet,

My answer here is update to 6.2.5 first. 

As mentioned on my previous response, the reason why it is recommended NOT to jump straight to the latest is to prevent a potential bricked unit after doing so because of very old current FW loaded to the NAS.

It is possible that your NAS' current FW has old cached version of FW checker.

Regards,

Message 10 of 18
Piglet
Luminary

@JennC wrote:

Right, that's why it's confusing because according to the knowledgebase article it's safe to go directly to 6.5 from 6.2.2 and I shouldn't need to update to 6.2.5 first.

Also, it sounds like a bug if the NAS can cache firmware update checks. At least if it's caching the results for months.

Message 11 of 18
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

The potential for a cached firmware notification could come from not having a proper active internet connection. Can you confirm your DNS and gateway are still correct on your device?

If not, fix them and try to do another check.  Otherwise, might need to look into the root cause with Support.

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@JennC wrote:

More conservative than the KB articles, but I suspect Jenn has a good reason for suggesting it.

Message 13 of 18
Piglet
Luminary

@kohdee wrote:

The potential for a cached firmware notification could come from not having a proper active internet connection. Can you confirm your DNS and gateway are still correct on your device?

Settings look good. I'm using the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) and apps like Transmission work as well.

Message 14 of 18
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

If you put your device in Secure Diagnostics mode and PM me your 5 digit port number and admin password (you can change it if you're uncomfortable), I can see what is going on with your firmware update request.

Message 15 of 18
Piglet
Luminary

After kohdee had a look at my NAS in Diagnostics mode the update check now returns the current 6.5 version. Man Happy

I don't know what he did to fix it, maybe he wants to elaborate on that in case others encounter the same issue.

Message 16 of 18
Piglet
Luminary

Just a followup: I finally updated today. The notification I got was about 6.5.2, which I successfully installed. I then got the notification about 6.6.0, which also installed fine. So far, so good.

Message 17 of 18
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good day Piglet,

Thanks for your updates.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements