× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update to 6.6.1 and all encrypted shares lost

PiersC
Aspirant

Firmware update to 6.6.1 and all encrypted shares lost

Hi all,

I have just updated the firmware from 6.5.1 to 6.6.1 on my NAS and after reboot, all of the shares on the encrypted RAID 1 (drive1 and 2) have dissappeared. On the other drive (not encrypted drive 3) everything is fine. All the apps have dissappeared too (did not have many), but i can imagine they were on the main raid 1. In the logs i can see that even the snapshots have been removed, but i dont know why. Wish i had never bothered updating it.

After several restarts i had a few issues whilst booting trying to read the encryption key at around 45% and kept giving memory errors (out of memory+354) but finally i have now got back into the NAS admin but both disks (1 and 2) are red (inactive volumes).

I am pretty desperate to recover the data, can the NAS run some form of disk repair? What should i do?

I am not very familiar with linux/ssh but I can follow instructions.

Can anyone help me?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

It sounds like the NAS can't access the encryption key, therefore can't decrypt the relevant volumes, so can't read them.

Nothing disappeared from the volume, it's just not shown as it's unreadable.

Do you have a USB stick with the encryption key connected to the chassis?

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf (page 32): You must insert the USB drive with the encryption key into a USB port on the ReadyNAS for the volume to be unlocked and accessible.You must insert the USB drive to unlock an encrypted volume during reboot. If you do not insert the USB key on reboot, there is a 10-minute time-out during which you can insert the key. Otherwise, you wll not be able to access the encrypted volume until the ReadyNAS is again rebooted. You can remove the USB drive after unlocking the volume. We recommend storing the USB drive with the encryption key in a safe and secure location when not in use.

Message 2 of 12
PiersC
Aspirant

Hi Jak0lantash,

Thanks for your help.

The USB key was in and it seems to take forever, never making it past 48% without a memory error (__out_of_memory+354). Though when it does make it into the OS, the drives are red (inactive) and show nothing on them (capacity wise under volumes).

I have also tried a backup key i made on another USB stick (just in case there was an issue with the one of them) and the same result.

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try booting into volume read-only mode (a boot menu option) then send your logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 12
PiersC
Aspirant

Hi Mdgm, I have sent in my logs as requested,

I did find out that if I booted my NAS without either of the encrypted disks, it actually will load the ReadyNAS OS 6 GUI, though if I leave either encrypted disk in any slot, it always fails with a __out_of_memory+354 error.

Fearful for my data I removed the second disk (#2) of my raid 1 and booted with 1 encrypted disk (#1) of that pair (#1,#2) and I left the non-encrypted disk in head #3. (#4 is currently empty)

When I booted in read only mode it finally got past the encryption key 48% on the front of the NAS and I can access the shares only via the browser GUI, not over the home network. Those shares simply do not appear, the only upside is that I can copy of some of the files due to limited space on my computer.

What can I do?

Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Booting from only one disk is not the best idea in my opinion. Now if you boot again with both disks, they'll have to resync, which will put more strain again on the volume.
Anyway, try get data off as soon as you can. Maybe you could create a backup job to push data from the NAS to another network location.
Message 6 of 12
Pstreicher
Guide

Reading this post and taking interest, it still doesn't answer the question as to why you were running out of memory? Is it because the flash drive is short of space? What are the details with that? Sometimes there has to be work space for a program to make use of data to cache while it works and it will use the memory device that the data is located on. I only know this from my days using Zip on small floppys and having this same problem. I would think though that a key would not be a very large file. Less than a few kb's maybe. Even a 1mb flash drive should be able to handle this but maybe there are hidden files that need to be removed that are taking up space on the flash drive? I know you don't want this to happen again in the future and I'd like to know more about this per chance that I would want to set up some encryption on my NAS files.

Message 7 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Pstreicher wrote:

out of memory

Read "out of RAM".

Message 8 of 12
PiersC
Aspirant

Thanks Jak0lantash.

In heindsight i wish i had left both drives in, i see your point.

Now i can read the volume and i am trying to get the data off, but i would still like to recover the Disk and get it working again back to normal, as it takes a lot of time re-setting up the shares, apps, file permissions, file modified/created dates, etc. How can i get the drives working again back in normal mode? as i cannot believe that a firmware upgrade on an ecrytped drive take out my raid 1. Also this out of memory issue, what can be causing this when booting normally?

When you say push the data to another drive, just a case of the files or all the meta data too?

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
PiersC
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

Have you had a chance to look at my logs? I'm still hoping you might come up with a solution.

Thanks

PiersC

Message 10 of 12
PiersC
Aspirant

Hi all,

Ok, so now i'm back at my desk (been away for a couple of days) and the NAS seems to have froze and i have only part copied some of the files (40%).

I tried booting again in read only mode and it takes ages and looks like it boots up, but i cannot access it via explorer/browser/raidar.

It's certainly having issues, and i'm still in need of help.

Can i force downgrade the firmware back to 6.5.1 ? I have new extra HD to backup on to, but i cannot access anything 😞

Message 11 of 12
PiersC
Aspirant

To add to my last comment, after attemting to restart it several times into read only mode i finally mangage to gain access to the browser GUI once it appeared in RAIDAR. I was in the process of attempting to copy off the data from each of the shares via both download and via a backup job to an external USB HD and it failed after two hours with a message in the front display window:

(null)+0

I did not receive the usual email from the NAS informing me what was going on, that it failed etc.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements