× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[Fixed] ReadyNAS Duo V1 does not boot with 2 TB ST2000DM001

mdietric
Aspirant

[Fixed] ReadyNAS Duo V1 does not boot with 2 TB ST2000DM001

Hi to everybody,

I am new to this board and I need support on my ReadyNAS Duo V1.
I bought an used empty unit and wanted to add 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 which are listed on the HCL. But the ReadyNAS does not boot while both HDDs are plugged in. The power LED is always on and the chassis fan runs at maximum speed but nothing happens. Also no access by Frontview.

With just one HDD the ReadyNAS boots and I can add the second HDD by hotplugging. Then the second HDD is being formated and the sync begins. But if I power down the ReadyNAS and want to power up againg there is the same issue like mentioned above.

I also did factory reset by pressing the reset button for 20 seconds and I also installed the firmware 4.1.12. by usb flash und have done the update to 4.1.13 again. But without success.

ReadyNAS DUO V1, no memory upgrade.
RAIDiator 4.1.13
2 x HDD Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (Firmware: CC27)
X-Raid configuration

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks, Michael
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadNAS Duo V1 does not boot with 2 x 2 TB ST2000DM001

A factory reset is done by powering off the system, pressing and holding the reset button, powering on the NAS, continuing to hold the reset button for about 30 seconds (not 20) until the disk LEDs blink twice and you see the factory default option appear on the display on the front of the unit then releasing it.
Message 2 of 10
mdietric
Aspirant

I am sorry but this is a ReadyNAS Duo and there is no display.
According to the manual 20 seconds are necessary for factory reset. After 20 seconds the disk LEDs blink twice.
Message 3 of 10
mdietric
Aspirant

I am sorry, mdgm. You are right. It is 30 seconds. I had a wrong value in my mind. My tests I have done waiting 30 seconds.
Message 4 of 10
mdietric
Aspirant

Re: [Fixed] ReadyNAS Duo V1 does not boot with 2 TB ST2000DM

Problem solved. New power adapter.
see http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=74690
Message 5 of 10
gundam
Aspirant

Independently from your problem, I understand you're able to use 2 TB ST2000DM001 (Seagate) SATA III disks on your ReadyNas Duo V1, isn't it ?
I'm looking for this information, since I'm going to replace my faulty 1TB disk with a brand new 2TB and your post is the unique information I found about that.
What I'm actually looking for is to be sure these disks will fits.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Message 6 of 10
mdietric
Aspirant

Hi gundam,

yes, I am using 2 pieces of Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (Firmware: CC27). Everythng is working fine.
Starting current of this type of drive is 2.5 Amps. So 5 Amps in total plus the chassis fan at startup. Should you experience any problem replace the original switching adpator by a new one of at least 5 Amps. The original is worn then and is no longer able to supply the 5 Amps. Please see viewtopic.php?f=64&t=74690.
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

gundam wrote:
Independently from your problem, I understand you're able to use 2 TB ST2000DM001 (Seagate) SATA III disks on your ReadyNas Duo V1, isn't it ?
I'm looking for this information, since I'm going to replace my faulty 1TB disk with a brand new 2TB and your post is the unique information I found about that.
What I'm actually looking for is to be sure these disks will fits.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Generally I suggest searching the forum for the drive model you are thinking about prior to purchase.

I recommend NAS purposed drives (WDC Reds are what I use, Seagate's VN line is their equivalent). Their warranties are better than consumer drives, and the manufacturers intend them for use in RAID arrays.
Message 8 of 10
gundam
Aspirant

Thank you both for your fast answers.
StephenB, do you think with WD20EFRX I can avoid the 5A problem experienced by mdietric ?

This seems to be (from reviews I had a look) a better disk tha MD series from Seagate, even if it cost a little bit more. If I would consider the supply adaptor cost, and I'm sure this will be not needed for WD, probably the difference will be very limited.
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I use a WD20EFRX in my duo with no problem (though the second drive is a ST32000542AS). The EFRX line runs cool, and don't draw much power. They shouldn't overload the adapter unless it is already failing.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements