× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fresh start - New discs - restore from old

harveyd
Aspirant

Fresh start - New discs - restore from old

Hi,

I have an Ultra 2 with 2*1.5TB disks, everything is all up to date but I have installed quite a few addons over the time and would like to have a fresh start.

I have purchased 2*3TB WD Red's and plan to shutdown the RN and swap in the 3TB drives and do a fresh install on to the 3TB drives.

My question is that if it's possible to take drive 1 of the old 1.5TB drive and use a usb dock to connect up to the RN?

How would I go about mounting the drive so I can rsync the data on to the new drives?

Thanks

Harv.
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Fresh start - New discs - restore from old

I'd temporarily put a 3 TB Red in a PC, and copy the data over to it with robocopy.

Then shutdown the NAS, remove both drives and and instal in the other RED drive - and restore the data from the PC backup.

After that, delete the volume on the PC Red, and then hot-add it to the ultra.

Throughout that process you'd have multiple copies of your data.
Message 2 of 5
harveyd
Aspirant

I do have a crashplan backup of the data already on a USB drive so have a separate backup.

I am trying to reduce the time to backup to a drive to restore to the drive. My hope was to install new drives and do just one copy of the data.

Is it possible to do as I described?
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I believe you might into problems mounting the USB drive because the 1.5 TB volume will have the same name as the NAS volume.
Message 4 of 5
harveyd
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I decided against the hassle and just grew the existing install with the new drives. Thanks for taking the time, if I had more time I would have followed your instructions and may do so in the future.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements