× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readyNas Duo will not boot to Factory default

setanta33
Aspirant

readyNas Duo will not boot to Factory default

I've a readyNAS Duo v2 which I have replaced with an NV+. I'd like to pass on my Duo but can't remember the admin password (I know!). I'm attempting to do a factory reset but having trouble.
The documentation says press the reset and power on, waiting for all LEDs to light; but they don't. How long does it take? I've held the reset for several minutes but still nothing.
I'm pretty IT savvy but I wonder am I missing a step?
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: readyNas Duo will not boot to Factory default

If you are passing on the duo with disks, you can also just put the drives into a PC and use Windows Disk Manager to delete the volumes (right-click on computer, select "Manage"). Or use WD Lifeguard to write 0s to the drive (that works with all drives, not just WD). All the info (including admin password) is on the disks.

Are you certain you have a v2 (running 4.1.x firmware)?
Message 2 of 6
setanta33
Aspirant

It is a Duo v2 - I can't swear to the os level as it was laid aside for a while (hence forgetting the admin p/w). I am passing it on but with new disks. I can set the RAID level and get it running but without the admin can't set it up on the new network or configure the shares.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

If you are using new disks, then all you need to do is insert the blank disks and power up. The NAS will install the OS partition on the disks and set up RAID.

After the install, the admin password for the v2 is "password". For the v1 it would be "netgear1".
Message 4 of 6
setanta33
Aspirant

Thanks I'll give that a go.
Message 5 of 6
setanta33
Aspirant

Worked fine. Thanks Stephen
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors