× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Garbled NV+ display after Nv+ turned on

ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Garbled NV+ display after Nv+ turned on

Hi,

i have a ReadyNAS NV+ V1 that's been disconnected from power for 2 months while we moved. When I finally got the NV+ plugged in and connected to my router, thy familiar "Booting...." Line comes up first. But when it continues booting, the LED display started generating random characters on the whole screen. When the boot process is over the display goes blank as usual.

Looking thru RAIDar, the drive is fine with all the drives at green (I don't see the UPS monitor in RAIDar, but I have the connections for it).

The NV+ ran all night, but the morning showed the same gobbliygook on the LED display. Does anyone have info on why this is happening? Will it lead to more disastrous problems? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks....Mike

Message 1 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ScuseMe1,

Can you still access the files? If you still can, back up the data. You may have to depend on the RAIDar now since display screen doesn't seem to work as it should.

Garbled display is a HW problem that you may need to replace the chassis already.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JennC wrote:

Garbled display is a HW problem that you may need to replace the chassis already.

If you are the original purchaser:  check your warranty status.  Warranty should be 5 years, so there is a chance you are still covered.

Assuming the garbled display is the only issue (and that your warranty has expired):  I'd suggest getting a new NAS with fresh disks, and use your NV+ for backup.

The RN200 or RN300 would be good choices - though all the new platforms are faster than your NV+. 

Message 3 of 7
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Thanks for responding JennC.

Everything else with the NV+ seems fine. The display does show parts of what it normally shows (IP address, etc.) but there are other extraneous characters that I don't recognize. These characters change to different ones throughout the days. FrontView shows everything ok. I also ran a diagnostic of the drives and that was fine too. The display turns off in a minute or 2 after booting and since it's only 2 lines, it only shows the space remaining and the IP address.

Honestly, it only bugs me because it's there. My NV+ is 7 years old and has run well, other than the fan and power supply I had to replace. But it means something....

Message 4 of 7
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Thanks for replying StephenB.

My NV+ is 7 years old, so way out of warranty. I did put a service request in to Netgear, but at this time they are charging $70 per instance, but since I've opened the case during these few years, I don't qualify. So as you say it might be better to get an RN200 or RN300. I know I can't just put my drives into the new units and have them work (I'm using X-RAID), but I also have a 1tb Passport portable drive that I use for backups of my music, so I could get a NAS, put my 4-1 to drives in it then copy the data from the Passport. But after spending $150 just a month ago for a power supply, I'd have to think about a new NAS right now.

Message 5 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ScuseMe1,

You need to backup the data first before inserting the disks to a different chassis.

See Can I move my RAIDiator 4.1 / NETGEAR Stora disks into a ReadyNAS OS 6 chassis?

Regards,

Message 6 of 7
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Thanks all for the suggestions. Somehow I think it's a static electricity problem. If I unplug the nv+ for 30 seconds or so then plug it in and turn it on, the lcd panel is correct, and stays correct for a few minutes, then gets slowly garbled again. The strange thing is that the more times I pull the plug then reboot , the longer the lcd screen stays uncorrupted. Very strange.

Mike
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements