× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest access from Windows Vista?

chucko58
Aspirant

Guest access from Windows Vista?

I have an old ReadyNAS NV (not +!) running 4.1.8. I have no problem getting to it from the Macs in the household. The problem is, I can't seem to access the shares from Windows Vista.

The share I'm trying to get at has guest access enabled under its CIFS tab in FrontView. I am not Windows savvy (which is part of the problem), but I cannot seem to GET guest access from Vista!

How exactly does one request guest access from Windows Vista? I always get a dialog looking for a user ID and password.

A related problem is that I seem to have a half-created user ID - if I try to use it, I get "access denied" errors; it doesn't show up on the Users and Groups tab in FrontView; but if I try to create it from Frontview, I get an error saying that user ID already exists!

I've mucked with the configuration a bunch, and that may be another part of my problem.

Hoping to get some insight into what I screwed up... :roll:
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

chucko58 wrote:
I have an old ReadyNAS NV (not +!) running 4.1.8. I have no problem getting to it from the Macs in the household. The problem is, I can't seem to access the shares from Windows Vista.

What security mode are you using under Security > Security Mode in Frontview?
chucko58 wrote:

A related problem is that I seem to have a half-created user ID - if I try to use it, I get "access denied" errors; it doesn't show up on the Users and Groups tab in FrontView; but if I try to create it from Frontview, I get an error saying that user ID already exists!

Have you created a share with that name?
Message 2 of 6
chucko58
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
What security mode are you using under Security > Security Mode in Frontview?

User.

mdgm wrote:
chucko58 wrote:

Have you created a share with that name?

Yes. The userid is 'chucko', I created a share by that name (can't remember if the capitalization was the same), renamed the share to 'chuckoshare' in an attempt to get the Windows box to access it.

FWIW I'm an experienced user of Linux and Mac systems, but not a sysadmin by any stretch, and my Windows knowledge is laughable.
Message 3 of 6
Mastacheata
Aspirant

if it's just about this one computer accessing the share, using the same username and password for the readynas user as for your windows account should grant you full access.
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On the ReadyNAS, if you create a share it gets treated as a user who can't login, now if you have a username on your PC with the same username this obviously causes problems.

Creating a user with the same username and password as the Windows account as Mastacheata suggested is a good option.

You might want to have a read of http://sphardy.com/web/permissionsguide
Message 5 of 6
chucko58
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
On the ReadyNAS, if you create a share it gets treated as a user who can't login, now if you have a username on your PC with the same username this obviously causes problems.

Ah, that seems to be my problem. If I delete the share, will the user ID of the same name go away so I can reuse it?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements