× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hard disks are continueous active even when no one is using the NAS

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Hard disks are continueous active even when no one is using the NAS

For both my RN628X devices the hard disks are continueous showing a lot of activity (both the led's are flashing and also the sound suggest quite a lot of disk activities). This is also when there is no one using the NAS and also the NAS is not doing back-up jobs or anything else that I can explain. Does anyone have an idea what the NAS'es are doing and how I can prevent this behavior? It seems to me that besides disk activity the NAS'es are consuming a lot of energy as well. Hope I can understand what the NAS is so busy with so that I can stop this to prevent wear on the disks and unnecessary spoiling energy. 

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

For both my RN628X devices the hard disks are continueous showing a lot of activity (both the led's are flashing and also the sound suggest quite a lot of disk activities). This is also when there is no one using the NAS and also the NAS is not doing back-up jobs or anything else that I can explain. 

Have you downloaded the full log zip file for both systems, and looked for clues?

Another approach is to enable SSH, and run top when you see the activity.  Then see what processes are using the CPU and try to track that back.

Also, have you scheduled maintenance tasks on the NAS (volume settings wheel)?  If you have autodefrag set, you might try disabling that.  Maybe also turn off file indexing and antivirus, and see if that makes any difference.

Is one of these NAS your backup NAS?

Message 2 of 3
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Hi @StephenB thank you for your feedback. I can't see anythng strange in the logs. I do have Anti Virus, File Search and Audit enabled on my main NAS the other NAS (my back-up NAS) only has Anti Virus and File Search enabled. I have switched off these two on my back-up NAS to see if this affects the disk and other activities on my NAS significantly. Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements