× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard drive says it is full

Oz2014
Aspirant

Hard drive says it is full

HI all,
I have a ReadyNas Duo with two green hard drives of 2 terabytes each. It is telling me that 99% of the drive is full (~1900 gigs used) but when I add up all three partitions it only comes to ~700 gigs!! Any idea what is happening?
Message 1 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Hard drive says it is full

What firmware?
When you say you've added up all 3 partitions, do you mean you've ssh'd in to the NAS?
If not, what exactly have you added up?

Do you have any snapshots?

Are home shares active?

Do you have recycle bins active and have you checked them?
Message 2 of 10
Oz2014
Aspirant

Hi Van,
First of all thanks for your help. I am no expert on the topic but I'm a bit computer literate. I'll try my best to answer your questions.
The firmware is: RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043]
The model is ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
I am using the latest version of RAIDar (4.3.8)
When I go into frontview it says: Volume C: Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 99% of 1853 GB used

I did 3 shares:
One named movies where I saved my DVD collection.
One named "media" were I saved my music CD collection
One named "Backup" were I am backing up my family folder (photos, etc) from my home computer.

In order to find out the size of each share I enter it and highlight all the folders before right click and scroll to “properties”.
Using this method the sizes of the files stored in each share are:
Movies: 560 GB
Media: 122 GB
Backup: 149 GB

Total of 831 GB
The disks are 2 teras each and as you see above it says “99% of 1853 GB used “

The only suspicious thing I can see is that in the “backup” share there is a folder named “HOME-PC” and when I double click on it in explorer, a window comes up of “network error” saying that I don’t have permission to access \backup\HOME-PC. And tells me to contact my network administrator.

Your other questions:
I can't find it anywhere but I am almost sure that recycle bin is disabled.
What are "home shares"?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Message 3 of 10
Oz2014
Aspirant

I just found out that "private home shares" are enabled but recycle bins is disabled.
Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Anything in your private home shares? How much space do they take up?

Are you using the NAS as a backup destination for Time Machine?
Message 5 of 10
GaWd
Luminary

Mine said this while it was doing a boot-time FSCK. So it was unmounting the non-OS directories to get that done. During that time, the NAS reported 100% use of 1849GB.
Message 6 of 10
Oz2014
Aspirant

Hi guys,
My machine is not doing any booting (it has been full for days now).
mdgm: I am not sure what exactly is a home share. I know it is active because I looked it up but I guess it is the way the NAS was configured from the beginning. I also don't know how to look for it. As I said, I can only see three shares: Media, Backup and Movies. I created the "movies" share, the other two were already there when I configured it. Is the home shares the "HOME-PC" directory I can see in Backup? Should I disable home shares? As far as I know I am not using it for anything..... Excuse my ignorance but I have been trying to find docu about the issue (home shares and the rest) but can't seem to find anything to learn a bit more.
Message 7 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

Home shares would be created for each user created on the NAS.
They are setup so that that user has exclusive access to that share.
You should be able to see the contents of it if you log in with each user's credential, at:

ipaddressofnas/shares

You may need to create windows logins to match the NAS user details.

Another way to look is to enable ssh and look at the directories and their sizes. You need to be comfortable doing this though.
Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You can see all the home shares if you access \\nasname\c from windows explorer using the admin credentials.

There will be a "home" folder, the home shares are subfolders of it.

As far as the home-pc folder goes:

Try going into frontview, and look at the share listing. First rename the backup share to backup1, and click apply at the bottom right. Then rename it again to backup, and click apply again.

Then select the CIFs icon for backup, and select the advanced tab on the upper right.

Try setting the owner name to "nobody" and the group name to "nogroup". Make sure the three rights underneath are set to "read/write". Make a note of the original settings.

Check the box next to "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders " and the one next to "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files.". Then click "apply" on the bottom right.

The "set ownership" box will clear, after a while you should see a pop-up telling you that the operation is finished. If you miss the pop-up you can see the completion message in the log.

If that doesn't give you access to backup\HOME-PC, then try enabling http/https for the share, and enter
https://nasname/shares Then browse into the backup folder, and see if you can access the folder that way.
Message 9 of 10
Oz2014
Aspirant

Ok guys. I solved it. It was as simple as getting access to the "HOME-PC" folder. Somehow the NAS drive was backing up my entire home computer hard drive!
Stephen, I did what you suggested and gained access to the infamous folder. Thanks a lot for your help.

Thank you all and everyone that replied for your help!!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements