× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard drive spin down problems

gnutzie
Aspirant

Hard drive spin down problems

I have a new ReadyNAS NV+ v2 device with two hard drives installed. I tried setting up a third drive, however readynas did not accept it as it was smaller than the first two drives. I only have the Photo Add-In installed but it is not in use.

The problem is, that the hard drives does not spin down properly, they immediately spin back up. When I check the system.log I see these entries approx. every 10 minutes:

Mar 10 13:34:00 fiber-nas noflushd[1606]: Spinning down disks.
Mar 10 13:34:01 fiber-nas noflushd[1606]: Could not open /dev/sdc for spindown: No such file or directory
Mar 10 13:34:36 fiber-nas last message repeated 2 times
Mar 10 13:34:36 fiber-nas noflushd[1606]: Disks spinning up after 0 minutes.

Seems like it still believes that there is a third drive there, however I do not know how to remove it properly from the system.
Message 1 of 4
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Hard drive spin down problems

Please send log to me, i need to check.
Message 2 of 4
maxblack
Aspirant

Hopefully evan will help you out--I spent many weeks (months?) trying to get noflushd to work properly i.e. not spin disks back-up again immediately, but was never able to get it to work reliably. I finally decided that noflushd was to blame not Netgear per se, and don't even try to use it any more.
Message 3 of 4
gnutzie
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

After I made this post I did a reboot + rescan and it seems to have resolved the issue.

I will monitor the system and get back to you if the problem occurs.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements