× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hardwiring NAS Duo v2 to Rega Dac

Sexon
Aspirant

Hardwiring NAS Duo v2 to Rega Dac

I am a newbie and not an IT tech but need your help.

I recently purchased a NAS Duo v2, transferred all my music to it.

I have a Rega Dac and hoped that i could connect it directly to the NAS (using the rear USB connections), somehow this did not work. i now have my laptop connected to the Dac using usb.

the NAS itself is connected to the router through an ethernet cable. from my laptop i can see the NAS contents on My Networks and can play music that way. what i ideally want is to connect the NAS to the Dac directly and i 'see into it' using the laptop and play music that way. is there a way?

this may not be as clear as intended but i welcome any suggestions. it has been mentioned that the NAS has no operating sytem so what i seek may be impossible. I do not wish to buy a squeezebox if other alternatives can be found.

also keen to know what a UPnP is?

many thanks,
Message 1 of 9
Sexon
Aspirant

Bump. is there a way i can directly connect the NAS to the Dac, will get rid of the long wires in the house.

thanks again
Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 3 of 9
sphardy1
Apprentice

Umm... in this case the OP is not trying to use the NAS as a USB target. That said, there is no support for attaching any kind of audio device to the NAS via USB. Devices like Squeezebox are the usual way to address this - they access the NAS as a network source and provide the control and connection to audio equipment. I know of no commercial NAS that enables you to avoid the equipment in-between.

Maybe the OP would have been better off building a small homeserver running a full OS? Something like Vortexbox?
Message 4 of 9
Sexon
Aspirant

many thanks guys for the quick responses, will read up on link provided. a colleague had suggested that the V2 allows for some software installation, to allow the NAS to stream directly to the Dac. but that does not appear to be the case. grr, such a nice little gadget the NAS is, bar this issue.

Thanks again, may come back with more questions...:-)

Best wishes,
Message 5 of 9
virgiliomi
Aspirant

Yeah, there aren't drivers on the NAS to support audio devices plugged into the USB ports, so unless you could find and install Linux drivers for an ARM CPU for your DAC, it's not likely that you'll be able to get it to work. Plus, after you've done that, you still need to have software on the NAS to play your music through the DAC.

What you might want to do instead is look for a Squeezebox Duet... hook the receiver to your network (or it can go wireless instead) and to your stereo, and use the WiFi controller to select music on your NAS to play through your stereo. Your NAS can then be anywhere on your network, it doesn't have to be right next to your stereo. If you decide you want to do this, you'll need to download the latest Logitech Media Server beta from here (the version you want is the very last link on the page) and install that on your NAS as well.
Message 6 of 9
Sexon
Aspirant

thanks again, that link wont open, need i download some software to be able to open thwe file. and i install a copy on the laptop only, or on the NAS too?

thanks guys and best wishes,
Message 7 of 9
virgiliomi
Aspirant

That last file is an installation file to install the Logitech software on your ReadyNAS... but you won't want to install it unless you decide to get a Squeezebox player device of some sort like I mentioned in my post.
Message 8 of 9
cruisingyacht
Aspirant

You can't do this. You need something in between that is a networked player of some sort. You could use an Airport Express and connect the DAC via a Toslink cable, but I doubt you'd get a better result than the APE's internal DAC. There are various networked music players that support your NAS, such as Squeezebox, Cambridge NP30 and I believe Sonos. But connecting Rega DAC direct - nope.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements