× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Has anyone claimed against the 5yr warranty Seagate drive?

whtang
Aspirant

Has anyone claimed against the 5yr warranty Seagate drive?

Should one expect Netgear to replace a dead drive Seagate drive with a 5 year warranty that was purchased with a Readynas Duo? it is only just under 5yrs..

what if the drive was a Seagate drive with 5 year warranty that was REDEEMED from Netgear as part of a Readynas promo?
Seagate wants proof of purchase for the drive.. how can I show that cos the drive was redeemed from Netgear?
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Has anyone claimed against the 5yr warranty Seagate driv

I'd contact Netgear support via email (support.netgear.com).
Message 2 of 6
whtang
Aspirant

already have a case open... I'm still trying to convey to them that I consider a redeemed drive from Netgear as bundled with the readnas... meanwhile they are trying to convince me that it was a store promotion and I need to go back to the store?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

NAS with drives included (by Netgear) usually have different model numbers than diskless units - the store receipt should include the model, and would help clarify the situation. My understanding is that some sales channels have included their own drives from time to time.

If it was a store promotion, then your store receipt is also the proof of purchase you need for seagate.

Your use of "redeemed" seems unusual to me btw, and might be creating some confusion. Was this some sort of mail-in promotional? Send in a coupon, get back a disk drive?
Message 4 of 6
whtang
Aspirant

long time ago.. it was this..
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25649

yes.. a mail in promotion run by Netgear.. send in a form and then send you a drive thing..

they got back saying the hardware warranty is 3 years which is expired.. From that I would deduce that you can RMA a drive with Netgear during the hardware warranty period..
if the drive bundled with the NAS has a 5yr warranty then netgear will still only RMA during HW warranty period.. after that you'd probably have to go to the disk vendor for yr4 and yr5...
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

In the US, Seagate has never asked me for proof of purchase. Their RMA web page asks for the drive model and serial, and it uses that to determine if the drive is covered.

The replacement drives they send are re certified (not new), and often are a different model from the return. The replacement might not be suitable for NAS.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements