× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How can I get RAIDiator 4.2 to understand xz compression (in newer .deb packages)?

chaug
Aspirant

How can I get RAIDiator 4.2 to understand xz compression (in newer .deb packages)?

I would like to install a newer deb package on my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 but it fails because Debian Etch doesn't understand xz compression which the newer deb files use. Is there a way of teaching it how to handle that?

Christoph

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: How can I get RAIDiator 4.2 to understand xz compression (in newer .deb packages)?

To make RAIDiator 4 "understand" xz compressed .deb packages you'd need to backport dpkg in at least version 1.16 and also backport the xz-utils package. However that won't help you much since Duplicati also requires a fairly recent version of the Mono framework. To be able to backport that to RAIDiator you'd next need to backport gcc 4.9 because newer Mono versions use functions that are only provided by gcc 4.9 and newer.

So in essence it would really be easier to upgrade your Ultra to RNOS 6. Should work fine, at least does for me on two boxes I use for developing the kernel modules.

-Stefan

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Those packages may not work due to other dependencies etc.

Backporting packages can be done but whether it's worth the effort is another question.

You'd probably find that you'd be better off backing up your data and upgrading to our latest firmware 6.6.0 (though unsupported on your NAS) which uses Debian Jessie.

The switch to OS6 does require a factory default.

Message 2 of 6
chaug
Aspirant

Hm, I have avoided upgrading do OS6 based on the rule "never change a running system" and because it is not supported which means I fill find myself googling and browsing through this forum in order to get stuff running again. Are you suggesting that OS6 is basically running without problems on the Ultra machines?

I'll mention the package that I'm talking about because it is actually very a very interesting one for many people: http://www.duplicati.com/download

Maybe someone with the necessary skills is willing to adapt it to Debian Etch or create a RAIDiator addon?

Message 3 of 6
WhoCares_
Mentor

To make RAIDiator 4 "understand" xz compressed .deb packages you'd need to backport dpkg in at least version 1.16 and also backport the xz-utils package. However that won't help you much since Duplicati also requires a fairly recent version of the Mono framework. To be able to backport that to RAIDiator you'd next need to backport gcc 4.9 because newer Mono versions use functions that are only provided by gcc 4.9 and newer.

So in essence it would really be easier to upgrade your Ultra to RNOS 6. Should work fine, at least does for me on two boxes I use for developing the kernel modules.

-Stefan

Message 4 of 6
chaug
Aspirant

OK, thanks. So how do I make sure that I back up everything I need? The instructions just tell you to backup, but what exactly do I backup and how? It looks like the data partitions will also be wiped, or is it just the system partition? Backing those up with the Frontend Backup tool should not be a problem. But how do I make sure I have all the databases and config settings from various addons backed up? I have several extra's installed:

Those are probably the most important ones to backup. Others can probably just be reinstalled.

It may sound strange to some people here, but to me, backing those up looks like a whole weekend's work... Especially LMS with all its plugins. Is there any more detailed backup guide? 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Everything will be wiped  - both the OS partition and the data partition will be completely different.

You'll have to write down the configuration, there is no way to migrate settings.  The apps you mention will need to be reinstalled.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements