× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I get rid of 'Invalid Certificate' Error in IE7?

prchrist
Aspirant

How do I get rid of 'Invalid Certificate' Error in IE7?

Hi; very new to this, just got the NV+ this week.
Followed the instructions for install and have been getting 'Invalid Certificate' errors in IE7 whenever I access my unit. If I ignore the warning everything works OK, but the address bar is RED. Frustrating to have to bypass the error each time.
I've tried all of the fixes, that I understood, that were described in previous posts that I could locate, but continue to get the certificate error.
My issue is on an NV+ connected to my network through a 2Wire ADSL gateway and a Windows XP Pro machine.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 19
dunc
Aspirant

You can tell IE7 to accept the "faulty" certificate permanently:

1. Click on the box to the right of the web address, which has "Certificate Error" in it.
2. In the Untrusted Certificate box, click on View Certificates at the bottom.
3. Click on the General tab and then click on Install Certificate
4. At the Welcome to the Certificate Import Wizard, click Next
5. With "Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate" selected, click Next
6. At the "Completing the Certificate Import Wizard" click Finish.
7. You should see the Certificate Import Box, which should say "The import was successful". Click OK.
8. Click OK to clear the Certificate Import Wizard.

Now you have a permanent security certificate exception in IE7, so when the "faulty" certificate is presented to IE7, it knows that you accept in anyway by default.

Kind regards,
Dunc.
Message 2 of 19
prchrist
Aspirant

Thanks for the clear instructions, I've tried the described process previously, and again after reading your post but continue to get the error.
Not sure what else to try or what I've got set incorrectly.
Message 3 of 19
RydForLyf
Tutor

I had the same problem until I created the cert with the same internet domain name that I was using to access the box. I had previously used the 192.168.1.2 ip address and continued to get the error when accessing the box through my address at dyndns.org. Once I used my dyndns.org domain name to issue the cert, everything was fine.

I hope this helps.
Message 4 of 19
prchrist
Aspirant

Thanks; got a reply in another forum that suggested the same resolution, and it worked.
Seems simple once you find the answer.

Thanks for your input.
Message 5 of 19
StaticFree
Tutor

prchrist wrote:
Thanks; got a reply in another forum that suggested the same resolution, and it worked.

Thanks for your input.

Hello folks, I am a new ReadyNAS DUO user and am having same problem using Windows Vista with IE8. I cannot add the certificate to the trusted certificates zone because when I click on the red certificate error bar and it shows the certificate details, all the options to perform any actions on it are greyed out! All I can do is view the info on the certificate, but nothing I see allows me to click "add" certificate to be trusted. The certificate name is simply the ip address of my ReadyNAS DUO unit. Should I rename and regenerate the certificate with a text name of say my registered dynorg.org hostname? Or is there a way to import the certificate from the ReadyNAS DUO? Where is the generated certificate stored such that I can point IE8 browser there to fetch it and install it into the trusted certificates zone?
Message 6 of 19
StaticFree
Tutor

Infobits wrote:
prchrist wrote:

Thanks for your input.

Hello folks, I am a new ReadyNAS DUO user and am having same problem using Windows Vista with IE8. I cannot add the certificate to the trusted certificates zone because when I click on the red certificate error bar and it shows the certificate details, all the options to perform any actions on it are greyed out! All I can do is view the info on the certificate, but nothing I see allows me to click "add" certificate to be trusted. The certificate name is simply the ip address of my ReadyNAS DUO unit. Should I rename and regenerate the certificate with a text name of say my registered dynorg.org hostname? Or is there a way to import the certificate from the ReadyNAS DUO? Where is the generated certificate stored such that I can point IE8 browser there to fetch it and install it into the trusted certificates zone?

Well being no one has answered this question yet, and I have solved it after getting a hint of what to do from the FAQ thread here, I will iterate what I did for future reference to those who will come down this path after me.

The steps that were outlined by previous posters in this thread above, apparently are for Windows XP users. They apparently overlooked the Windows Vista OS users. Like I said, I am using a Windows Vista OS with Internet Explorer 8 and those instructions above don't apply here.
Here is what I wound up doing:

In my ReadyNAS DUO and my ReadyNAS NV+
1) First off I assigned static ip addresses (at my router config) to my ReadyNAS units so tha the never change (you should do same).
2) login to Frontview and go to the Services-->Standard File Protocols screen, scroll down to the HTTPS section and enter your ReadyNAS units local ip address (e.g. - 192.168.2.10 or whatever it may be) into the "SSL key host" field and hit the Generate new key button to generate the new SSL key.
3) Wait about 10 seconds and click refresh at the top of the screen and it should come back saying that it finished generating new SSL key.
4) Next open a fresh https Internet Explorer browser (7 or 8 ) session to your ReadyNAS ip address (e.g. https://192.168.2.10/admin ) or just use RAIDar util and go to "setup" to open up the session.
5) At this point IE will fail to connect and give the usual could not trust the certificate or whatever error messages it says. Just click the option it presents to continue anyway and allow it.
6) The ReadyNAS Frontview login screen will present and you just login with your admin and password credentials as normal.
7) Now go into IE Tools-->Internet Options-->Security-->Trusted Sites and add your ReadyNAS ip address as a Trusted Site. It has to be entered in the format of https://192.168.2.10 (using my example ip address here). Once you've added your ReadyNAS ip address as a trusted site, you will later be able to add the ReadyNAS generated certificate. Save and close and exit the IE tools dialog boxes now.
8 ) At the top right side of IE url address bar will be a red Certificate Error notice. Left click on it and it will open up a box where you can click to view the certificate.
9) There should be a choice available now to install this certificate. Click on it and perform the steps to install the certificate as a "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" category. Do not accept the default method it presents, you have to manually click the box and open the browser bar for a list of items. Select the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" and add it. Complete the install and exit.
10) After this, logout and close your current browser session. If all went well from now on, next time you open the ReadyNAS Frontview login page, you should no longer get the certificate error screen nor messages anymore.

The main thing that made it work for me was to make sure that the Trusted Sites "https://<name or ip address>" you entered in tools options, matches the SSL certificate name or ipaddress_name that generated in ReadyNAS FrontView. I pulled my hair out a bit until I made these two names identical to each other... else it still won't work.

Hope this helped someone. (I am not sure I have listed all my steps in right order, but that is the jist of it).
Message 7 of 19
AndyH1
Aspirant

Infobits wrote:
... Hope this helped someone. (I am not sure I have listed all my steps in right order, but that is the jist of it).

Beautifully done, Infobits! I'm a new NV+ user as of about 5 hours ago - you've just saved me a LOT of time and annoyance as I continue to configure this box for my Vista/XP/IE8 network.

next bug to squish...alert email! 🙂

Thank You!
Message 8 of 19
hezner1
Tutor

Thank you sooooooo much for posting this information. It answered an ongoing issue of mine since I migrated to the new SBS 2008 server.
Message 9 of 19
mld1
Aspirant

My NAS is at 192.168.0.10 in my home network. My ISP IP address is a.b.c.d. I have setup my router to port forward accordingly. When at home, I prefer to access the NAS locally using https://192.168.0.10, but my extended family will access the NAS remotely using https://a.b.c.d. Using the instructions above for trusted sites and certificate generation/import, I can eliminate the "invalid certificate" problem for either local access via 192.168.0.10 or remote access via a.b.c.d, but not BOTH at the same time.

I have tried adding both 192.168.0.10 and a.b.c.d simultaneously to trusted sites and import the current certificate accordingly. Experimentally, if I use 192.168.0.10 as the NAS SSL key host, then I will see no invalid certificate error when contacting the NAS via 192.168.0.10, but I will see certificate error when contating the NAS via a.b.c.d. If I use a.b.c.d as the NAS SSL key host, then I will see no invalid certificate error when contacting the NAS via a.b.c.d, but I will see certificate error when contating the NAS via 192.168.0.10. If I use a random name as the NAS SSL key host, I will see certificate error when contacting the NAS via 192.168.0.10 or a.b.c.d.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to overcome this ?
Message 10 of 19
dbott67
Guide

mld wrote:
I can eliminate the "invalid certificate" problem for either local access via 192.168.0.10 or remote access via a.b.c.d, but not BOTH at the same time.

Correct. I do not believe that you can have to valid certificates at the same time.

I think the only way to cure this problem is to use a FQDN and then generate the certificate. There are many dynamic DNS services that you allow you to create a FQDN such as mld.dyndns.com to get your external users connected to your external IP (a.b.c.d). However, internally you may face problems with routing or name resolution. You can cure this by creating an entry in you hosts file that points mld.dyndns.com to 192.168.0.10.

In Windows, edit the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file and add your dynamic DNS name:

192.168.0.10   mld.dyndns.com

Do this for each of the machines on your internal LAN. Of course, mld.dyndns.com is just an example --- feel free to register whatever name works for you and with whatever DynDNS service is supported by your router. Change the entries accordingly in the hosts file.

-Dave
Message 11 of 19
mld1
Aspirant

Thanks. That makes sense. I added the info to the hosts file and setup a dynamic DNS service. https://mld.dyndns.com (continuing with your example) from my PC works fine and I can browse and stream NAS .wmv files. https://mld.dyndns.com also reached my NAS from another PC and I can browse my NAS wmv files and do a "save as". Interestingly though, if I click on the file name in this case (I would like to stream it), WMP reports the error:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.
Message 12 of 19
dbott67
Guide

mld wrote:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.

Is this internal, external or both?

If external only, it may be some sort of firewall/port-blocking issue with the router. If both internal & external exhibit this behaviour, I'm not sure what the issue is.

I take it you're pointing WMP to the dyndns IP over http. What happens if you just use the internal IP (rather than the FQDN)?
Message 13 of 19
mld1
Aspirant

Dave,

Thanks for your fast reply, and sorry for my slow reply. I took my NAS down until I received a new power supply (BTW, the new power plug completely solved the power loss problem that many people have mentioned on another thread). Turns out that I can indeed stream from inside and from outside my firewall. I did have to upgrade to WMP11 to achieve success from outside though.

Mike
Message 14 of 19
dbott67
Guide

That's good news, Mike. Thanks for posting your solution. 😎

-Dave
Message 15 of 19
clig73
Aspirant

This post was very helpful, but I discovered a new snafu that wasn't letting me install the certificate. I had recently moved our network to a new gateway which uses a completely different subnet, and the original certificate I'd installed was flagged as a mismatch. Going through the above steps worked as it did originally, but at the end of it, I kept getting an expiration date error. As it turned out, my NV+'s clock was out of sync with my workstation (by about 15 minutes!), so it viewed the cert as not yet valid. Re-syncing the clock fixed all.

Not everyone here is going to be as dumb as I was, but I thought I'd throw it in just for reference.
Message 16 of 19
CliftonCaldwell
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 and IE9. I've tried the above steps many times and have not had any luck. It continues to come up with the Certificate error.
I am also unable to access the protected shares. It doesn't appear to recognise the login username and password, yet other computers (running Windows XP) on the same network can access the shares without any problems.

Has anyone else run into this problem.... I'd be glad of any suggestions!!
Thanks
Message 17 of 19
Bob_K
Tutor

I've successfully imported the certificate for my 4 Ultra using a static IP of 192.168.1.4. However, I also get to my NAS with //readynas/admin and still get the invalid certificate prompt even though I've imported the certificate to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities folder and added "//readynas/admin" to the Trusted sites.

Is there any way to properly import the certificate for "//readynas/admin"?
Message 18 of 19
RezzZ
Tutor

got a similar problem

first my nas got the IP 192.168.10.11. After I knew the mac of the nas I specified an IP for it in my router. Now, every time I access admin or other pages from the nas like phpmyadmin etc I get this certificate error... the IP doesn't match the server certificate...
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements