× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I restore my NAS from USB backup? It doesn't seem possible.

spotcatbug
Apprentice

How do I restore my NAS from USB backup? It doesn't seem possible.

I badly worded the title of my previous post on this topic. This one is titled more clearly. I have a full backup of /data on an external USB drive. I just did a factory reset of my NAS. Now I need to restore /data from the backup. How do I do this? It doesn't seem possible from FrontView. Simply reversing the source and destination isn't possible. Please, please, please, somebody must know how to do this. If this isn't possible, how could any of these devices ever be sold and what would be the point of having backups?

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 3
spotcatbug
Apprentice

Re: How do I restore my NAS from USB backup? It doesn't seem possible.

This is amazing. I managed to get FrontView to allow me to select the external USB drive's "backup" folder for the source and "/data" for the destination. How did I do this? Well, obviously, in the Select Folder UI, where you choose source or destination, I turned off the tree view - that made it accept the selections of source and destination, and allowed me on to the next step of creating the backup (actually, restore) job. However, when I click Finish, I get an Error Reporter window: "Source and destination cannot be the same" (code 7003020008). I guarantee I did not have source and destination the same - I've tried it 10 times or more by now.

Any insights?

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How do I restore my NAS from USB backup? It doesn't seem possible.

You could restore e.g. a share called "backup" doing a backup job from /USB disk/backup to /data/backup, where you have already created the "backup" share after doing the factory reset.

We don't support restoring a backup of an entire volume directly to the volume. That wouldn't set things up properly and there would be the risk that a user may wipe all their data on the NAS already if they don't know what they are doing.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements