× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How long it takes to "Reformat Previously Formatted Disk"?

AndreasLi
Aspirant

How long it takes to "Reformat Previously Formatted Disk"?

I want to add a 6TB disk (new disk but connected to PC to check bad sections) to my RN102, and as the HW manual says, a Previously Formatted Disks should be Reformated before using. I don't know if the disk has been formatted or not, but I followed the instruction, reset the system to its factory default settings, waited 5 mins for disk testing and 10 mins of time-out period, and then I found that they didn't tell how long it takes for the reformatting. 

In Windows OS, formatting may take for a few seconds to a few hours, but I didn't found info about it in ReadyNas. I'm confused now. If I should wait or just shut down the NAS. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

What disk model?

Is this the only disk in the RN102?  If not, there was no reason to do the factory default.  That is destructive, so any data you had on the other disk would be deleted. 

Have you tried logging into the NAS? (https://nas-ip-address/admin, using the actual IP address of course).

Message 2 of 13
AndreasLi
Aspirant

The reformatted disk model is WD6003FFBX, it's on the compatibility list.

It's a empty disk, and it's the only disk in NAS when I do the reformatting. 

The old disk (a 3TB WD red disk) was dismounted while reformatting, as I just want to add the new disk as additional space. 

Now the NAS can be discovered and setup as a new ReadyNAS device on readycloud website. 

I guess the next step is to shut the NAS down -> replace the new disk to the old one and power on -> check if it's already in Flex mode -> hot insert the new disk and set it to a new volume

Is it right?

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@AndreasLi wrote:

The reformatted disk model is WD6003FFBX, it's on the compatibility list.

It's a empty disk, and it's the only disk in NAS when I do the reformatting. 

The old disk (a 3TB WD red disk) was dismounted while reformatting, as I just want to add the new disk as additional space. 

You used the wrong procedure.  What you should have done is 

1. make sure X-RAID is turned off (no green stripe on the X-RAID control on the volume page)
  2. hot-insert the new disk
  3. select the new disk, and create a new JBOD volume

I suggest powering down the NAS, putting in the original disk (by itself), and powering it up again.  Then you can execute the steps above. The first step is very important, so make sure X-RAID is off.

However, it will be a bit simpler if you can unformat the WD6003FFBX before you hot insert it.  You can do that in a Windows PC, connecting the disk either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  

If you can't do that, the second disk might show up as an inactive volume when you hot-insert it.  Let us know if that happens.

Message 4 of 13
AndreasLi
Aspirant

Yes you're right. Things get out of control now -_-|||

Before read your reply. I setup NAS with the new disk, and turned off X-RAID. 

Then I want to use both the old and new disks, so I shut down NAS, and plug old disk to slot 1 and new disk to slot 2, then turned on NAS. 

I can only see the new disk in NAS, the old disk became red (inactive?) So I shut down NAS, and removed the new disk, then turned NAS on, the whole NAS appears 'offline'. 

I shuted down NAS and connect the old disk to PC via SATA, it cannot be read or reconginized by PC... even the motor doesn't work. 

Is it mean the old disk dead, or there's a way to rescue it. Please help 🙏. this time I'll not do any thing before get your suggestion ...

Message 5 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

If it won't spin up, and you know the configuration of what you have connected it to is good, then the drive is dead.  Your PC won't be able to access anything on the drive because it's not formatted in a manner Windows recognizes.  But tools like Seatools will see and test it just fine.

Message 6 of 13
AndreasLi
Aspirant

Thanks for replying! 

I installed Seatools and the disk can be recongnized (name, size, Firmware, etc), and its Drive status is 'Identify'. 

If the tool can fix the problem, make the disk can be read by PC or NAS again?

Should I run any test? There are some options: 'SMART test', 'Short drive self test, 'Drive information', 'Short generic', and 'Long generic'. 

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@AndreasLi wrote:

Should I run any test? There are some options: 'SMART test', 'Short drive self test, 'Drive information', 'Short generic', and 'Long generic'. 

I run the long generic.  Then I enable the advanced menu, and run a full erase test (not sure that's the name).

@AndreasLi wrote:

If the tool can fix the problem, make the disk can be read by PC or NAS again?

Let's first see what the test results are.

Generally I haven't used these tools to "repair" or "fix" my disks.  Others here have - but in my experience the repairs don't last very long.

Message 8 of 13
AndreasLi
Aspirant

Thank you for replying. 

Does it mean the disk will be erased? If it's possible to recover data in the disk?

Message 9 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

The full erase test is the only one that will delete the data.  Recoverability depends on the results of the test.  It is rare that a sector gets marked bad in error.  Most "fixing" just entails marking a section as bad and assigning a substitute.  That doesn't usually last for long, and can be problematic in RAID, anyway.

Message 10 of 13
AndreasLi
Aspirant

Thank you for your advise 🙂

Fortunately I found a SW can read the dead disk, so I copied all 3TB data to the new 6TB disk. 

Now I wondering if I should hot mount the 3TB disk to the NAS (and then format it?). Now I'm very cautious to mount do anything with the NAS -_- It's so dangerous. 

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@AndreasLi wrote:

Thank you for your advise 🙂

Fortunately I found a SW can read the dead disk, so I copied all 3TB data to the new 6TB disk. 

Now I wondering if I should hot mount the 3TB disk to the NAS (and then format it?). Now I'm very cautious to mount do anything with the NAS -_- It's so dangerous. 

You can do that by 

1. Making sure XRAID is off, by checking that there is no green stripe on the XRAID control on the volume page
  2. hot-inserting 3 tb disk
  3. The old volume likely will show up on the volume page - if it does, you will need to delete it (click on the dead volume's setting wheel).
  4. select the disk from the center graphic
  5. format it 
  6. create a new jbod volume.
Message 12 of 13
AndreasLi
Aspirant

Than you so much!!!

I created a new volume on the old disk by following you guidance. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements