× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to change/reset owner of folder?

jamesbbb
Aspirant

How to change/reset owner of folder?

I have two folder and 1 file in the root of my share with owner/group set to "0 98". All others are "65534 65534". I'm able to access the files without problems, but I want to delete them, and that does not work. How can I reset the owner (or delete them?)

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
jamesbbb
Aspirant

I managed to delete the folders using SSH. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What ReadyNAS are you using (and what firmware is it running)?

Message 2 of 8
jamesbbb
Aspirant

It's Duo v1. It says RAIDiator 4.1.13, not sure if that's the firmware versi

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

4.1.13 is the firmware.

Go into the frontview admin web interface.

Select shares/share listing on the left.

Then select the CIFS icon for the share with the problem.

Then select the "advanced options" tab on the upper left

Review the owner/group and rights in advanced share permissions, and set as desired.

Then check the box next to "set ownership and permission for existing files...", and click apply on the bottom right.

The checkbox will clear immediately, and the reset will happen in the background.  There will be a pop-up when it completes.

Message 4 of 8
jamesbbb
Aspirant

I already tried that, but that didn't make any difference... I selected the root share, and selected the checkbox, and hit Apply in the bottom right corner. The "loading" wheel spinned for a few seconds, and then the checkbox is cleared, and there's no further confirmation. When I log onto FTP I can see that the owner has not changed and the files are stll not possible to delete.

It's not possible to logon using SSH and delete with sudo command or something like that?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Well, as I said - the process happens in the background, and presents a popup when it completes.  How long did you wait?

It is possible to enable ssh, and change the owner/group with chown/chgrp.  sudo isn't needed.  You do need to install Enable Root SSH Access from here:http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203 (sparc version of course).

Message 6 of 8
jamesbbb
Aspirant

I waited for about 5 minutes for a confirmation. But since the process is running in the background, it shouldn't really matter whether or not I have the window still open, once the process is started. I tried this earlier today, which is several hours since...

I'll try to  install SSH now.

Message 7 of 8
jamesbbb
Aspirant

I managed to delete the folders using SSH. 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements