× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to make a clone to a second NAS

cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

How to make a clone to a second NAS

Hi All,

I have a 316 NAS with some share and many snapshot, I need to clone all the share with snapshot contend to a second 316 NAS because the first has problem on btrfs (crash during balance).

ReadyDR copies all snapshot, but how can have all structure and snapshot like the original?

If found only the possibility to clone a single snapshot from a dr share and create a new share, but for having all snapshot?

Thanks

Giuseppe

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to make a clone to a second NAS

The key here is your requirement to migrate the snapshots to the clone.  That requires ReadyDR.  But a ReadyDR backup destination is not a normal share, so you don't end up with a clone - you end up with a ReadyDR backup.

You can try using ReadyDR on a share on the old NAS, and then restore the ReadyDR backup to a local share on the new machine.  You'll want to do that in stages (ReadyDR backup, restore to local share, delete ReadyDR), unless you have a lot of free space on the volume (keeping all the ReadyDR backups and the local shares simultaneously would require 2x the space).

Another approach might create ReadyDR backups for everything on the new NAS, then factory reset the old one, and restore the backups to the original.  That has more downtime of course.

If you can relax your requirement on preserving snapshots, then rsync is more direct than using ReadyDR.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cs_giuseppe,

You could try knoppix disk cloning.

Also, NETGEAR offers data recovery; you could try getting in touch with support to check if the service would apply to what you need.

Contact NETGEAR Support

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi FramerV,

the NAS is working, there is no need to call support.

What I need is how to create a clone/mirror of the nas to a second rn316 and maintain it, so I can factory reset the first nas without data and business lost.

After then I need to have alla nas synced so it's a disaster recovery solution.

I need to clone/replicate form first nas the share and all snapshot to te second nas, and have the same share/snapshot structure.

Thanks, Giuseppe 

Message 3 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cs_giuseppe,

I see, I am guessing you would also want the settings of the ReadyNAS copied over? (permissions, back-up jobs, etc.).

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

What I do is manually configure the backup NAS to match the first (apart from the host name), and then use daily rsync backups to keep the shares up to date.  

This isn't continuous backup, so I would lose some data if I needed to switch to the backup.  Plus I don't try to exactly match the snapshots. Instead I have a custom snapshot schedule set up so a snapshot is made on the backup NAS right before each backup job runs. That allow recovery of any older files that were backed up.. 

Matching snapshots exactly requires that you use ReadyDR.  The downside is that you can't immediately switch over to the second NAS Instead you need to restore the ReadyDR shares to regular sures.

Message 5 of 9
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi FramerV,

I need only the data (over 10Tb) + snapshot (until 12 months old)

Backup job, permission and other setting  can be made manually.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi StephenB,

your solution is good if starting from zero with 2 nas.

But I've the first nas with data + snapshot and I'm finding a solution to move all to the second.

I'll study various settings with rsync and readydr.

If was possible to move all snapshot in the readydr share under a normal share, this will be the solution.

Thanks, Giuseppe

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The key here is your requirement to migrate the snapshots to the clone.  That requires ReadyDR.  But a ReadyDR backup destination is not a normal share, so you don't end up with a clone - you end up with a ReadyDR backup.

You can try using ReadyDR on a share on the old NAS, and then restore the ReadyDR backup to a local share on the new machine.  You'll want to do that in stages (ReadyDR backup, restore to local share, delete ReadyDR), unless you have a lot of free space on the volume (keeping all the ReadyDR backups and the local shares simultaneously would require 2x the space).

Another approach might create ReadyDR backups for everything on the new NAS, then factory reset the old one, and restore the backups to the original.  That has more downtime of course.

If you can relax your requirement on preserving snapshots, then rsync is more direct than using ReadyDR.

Message 8 of 9
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi StephenB,

I unterstand.

I'l study the restore way and try it.

Thanks, Giuseppe

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies