× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I can not access Frontview/Admin on my ReadyNas Duo - please help!

Master-W24
Aspirant

I can not access Frontview/Admin on my ReadyNas Duo - please help!

I experienced this first time for almost a year ago and I do understand that it has something to do with the NAS SW version does not support TSL/SSL version (or something similar), but I'm really struggling to solve this.

Now it's getting a bit critical accessing some files on the NAS, so I would really appreciate some support.

I've read a lot of forums about this and tried to update windows and browser configuration. Installed different browsers and so on, but nothing seems to help.
It's a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo RND2000v2. I'm running a Win 10 PC and normally use Chrome as browser.

• I can not access ny NAS folders that are mapped in File Explorer. They are simply not accessable any more.
  • I can access my own "share" folder on the NAS (at least from IE-browser), but even if I log in as admin + netgear1, I will only open this browser.
    MasterW24_0-1681773330981.png
  • When I enter "ip-address"/admin it will not work in any browser and the result is different error messages referring to TSL-version -SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION (Firefox), 
    ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH (Chrome)
    or in IE nothing at all happens - just time out.

From reading a lot of forums I understand that I somehow need to get into Frontview on my NAS and then upgrade the NAS SW to latest version (firmware?). After that it should work as before. My problem is that I've read and tried so many different things that I'm now just really confused and stuck.

Can someone please support (preferrably in a step-by-step solution) on what I should do to solve this?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Master-W24 wrote:

I have Frontview working on Firefox after the setting change you proposed (on my ordinary PC). I also have Frontview working in Internet explorer on the old Laptop.
But this seem like a work-around for me, and not a vialble future-proven solution.

There are no options available to install TLS 1.2 on your NAS.

What you can do is patch your NAS to allow normal HTTP connections to Frontview.  These connections are not encrypted, so you would need to be careful to not allow remote http access (other than through a VPN).  Though IMO you need to do that anyway, given the age of the NAS (which hasn't had any security updates since 2017).

If you want to do that, then you can find instructions here:

As far as future-proof goes:

• The basic hardware architecture of your NAS goes back to about 2005.  Netgear stopped building it in 2011 because its performance was no longer competitive. 
  • The Linux OS is Debian 3.1 (Sarge).  This was archived by Debian back in 2008 - all security updates after that were back-ported by Netgear.  They stopped doing that in 2017. When the Duo was launched (June 2008), Windows PCs were running Vista. Your NAS is still running the Linux equivalent.

So IMO there is no more future-proofing possible.  My own Duo v1 is still in service as a secondary backup.  I'll keep using it for backup as long as it works - but I won't invest any time/money in keeping it running.  

My main NAS (an RN526x) is another story.  The protocols it is using are up-to-date, and I am planning to use it for the foreseeable future. 

@Master-W24 wrote:

Or do you recommend me to get a new up-to-date NAS? Does Netgear actually sell NAS anymore?

Certainly I do recommend planning for a replacement.  If you don't need much storage, you might find that OneDrive or Google Drive are all you actually need.  If you want to stay with a home NAS, then the vendors I'd look at include Synology, QNAP, and Asustor.

Netgear hasn't introduced a new NAS product since 2017, and there really aren't any new models out there to purchase..  Though they haven't said, I personally think they've been quiet-quiting their storage business for some time now.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Master-W24 wrote:

It's a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo RND2000v2.

Per your screenshot, it is the original ReadyNAS Duo (called a v1 here).

It is important that we get the model right - your options for dealing with the SSL version problem are different for the two models.

The original Duo (v1)

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • often has other labels that suggest it might be a v2 (or even a v3).

The Duo v2

• runs 5.x firmware
  • says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel

@Master-W24 wrote:
  • SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION (Firefox), 

Try setting security.tls.version.min to in about:config. 

@Master-W24 wrote:
  • I can not access ny NAS folders that are mapped in File Explorer. They are simply not accessable any more.

Check that the SMB 1/CIFS client is enabled on the PC (this is in "turn windows features on or off")

Message 2 of 8
Master-W24
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB,

It's been a while since I had time to look in to this issue again, but the progress so far is:

• The lable on the item still says that it is a "ReadyNAS Duo RND2000v2", but it doesn't say v2 on the front.
    When I look in Frontview it says it has the latest Firmvare and it is 4.1.16, so you might be correct that it is a v1... strange...

MasterW24_0-1682883564659.png

It´s really confusing which version it is...

• I've now managed to find an old laptop (Win10 though, but perhaps it's not udated...). On this one I can access the shares in Win file explorer (strange enough?). I can also access Frontview when I use Iexplorer on that laptop. So that actually works, but somehow I need this to work on my ordinary computers.
  • I've added HTTP/S for all shares now, so I can actually access all files via web-browser on all computoërs, but still not in Win file explorer. So it's a work-around, not a viable solution.
  • SMB 1/CIFS client is enabled on all computers.
    MasterW24_1-1682884704041.png

So can you recommend what to do?

• Is there any fix for this? so I can access everyting from my ordinary computers?
  • Or shoud I download all files to an external harddrive and buy a new NAS? If so, can you recommend any good NAS that´s future proven?

Message 3 of 8
Master-W24
Aspirant

Oups, all of a sudden Win file explorer works on my other (ordinary) computer as well...???

May it be related to that I've de-selected the "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal"?

MasterW24_0-1682887022341.png

If that's the case I have a solution which is great. Let's hope it works on my other computers as well. Can I trust this?

I still have the issue/work-around with accessing Frontview though. If someone have a solution for that, it would be perfect. I also would appreciate some recommendation on what to do to for the future. Can I trust that this will continue to work or is there a risk for some update to mess things up again?

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Master-W24 wrote:

I still have the issue/work-around with accessing Frontview though. If someone have a solution for that, it would be perfect.

I gave it to you for FireFox.

@Master-W24 wrote:

Message 5 of 8
Master-W24
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

I gave it to you for FireFox.

@Master-W24 wrote:

Perhaps you misuderstood.
I have Frontview working on Firefox after the setting change you proposed (on my ordinary PC). I also have Frontview working in Internet explorer on the old Laptop.
But this seem like a work-around for me, and not a vialble future-proven solution.

• So my question was if there is a fix or some kind of update in order to access Frontview from all internet browsers?
  • Or do you recommend me to get a new up-to-date NAS? And in that case do you have any recommendation fo a NAS where everthing works as it is supposed to work?
    Does Netgear actually sell NAS anymore?

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Master-W24 wrote:

There are no options available to install TLS 1.2 on your NAS.

What you can do is patch your NAS to allow normal HTTP connections to Frontview.  These connections are not encrypted, so you would need to be careful to not allow remote http access (other than through a VPN).  Though IMO you need to do that anyway, given the age of the NAS (which hasn't had any security updates since 2017).

If you want to do that, then you can find instructions here:

As far as future-proof goes:

• The basic hardware architecture of your NAS goes back to about 2005.  Netgear stopped building it in 2011 because its performance was no longer competitive. 
  • The Linux OS is Debian 3.1 (Sarge).  This was archived by Debian back in 2008 - all security updates after that were back-ported by Netgear.  They stopped doing that in 2017. When the Duo was launched (June 2008), Windows PCs were running Vista. Your NAS is still running the Linux equivalent.

So IMO there is no more future-proofing possible.  My own Duo v1 is still in service as a secondary backup.  I'll keep using it for backup as long as it works - but I won't invest any time/money in keeping it running.  

My main NAS (an RN526x) is another story.  The protocols it is using are up-to-date, and I am planning to use it for the foreseeable future. 

@Master-W24 wrote:

Or do you recommend me to get a new up-to-date NAS? Does Netgear actually sell NAS anymore?

Certainly I do recommend planning for a replacement.  If you don't need much storage, you might find that OneDrive or Google Drive are all you actually need.  If you want to stay with a home NAS, then the vendors I'd look at include Synology, QNAP, and Asustor.

Netgear hasn't introduced a new NAS product since 2017, and there really aren't any new models out there to purchase..  Though they haven't said, I personally think they've been quiet-quiting their storage business for some time now.

Message 7 of 8
Master-W24
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your explaination and recommendations @StephenB 
I believe I now have the information I need in order to decide how to proceeed with my current NAS or not 👍

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements