× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ISCSI performance + sharing settings

Aerolf
Aspirant

ISCSI performance + sharing settings

Using RAIDiator 4.2.30 on my NAS, I've made several shares with different user settings.

1. How can I setup the same user + group sharing settings for an iSCSI volume?
  2. It seems the file transfer performance is faster on a iSCSI volume compared to a regular share. Is this a fact or should it be - theoretically - the same?

Network

Internet > Modem > Router > GS724T Prosafe Smart Switch >

• ULTRA 2 Plus and each workstation is connected to the Switch
  • Each workstation runs on Windows 10 Home
  • ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus runs RAIDiator 4.2.30

Model: RNDP200U|READYNAS ULTRA 2 PLUS|EOL
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ISCSI performance + sharing settings

iSCSI provides block storage (e.g., raw storage).  The client is responsible for formatting it, and also is responsible for file permissions. Think of it as a virtual disk.

Shares can be accessed simultaneously by multiple users.  iSCSI can't be - it is intended to provide storage for a single client.  

Also, ISCSI is opaque to the NAS - it has no idea what files are stored in the iSCSI LUN.  If you back up the LUN from the NAS, you need to save the entire LUN - there is no incremental backup for iSCSI possible with OS 4.2.  (Business OS 6 NAS can use ReadyDR, though even that is a block-by-block backup. iSCSI is still opaque to the NAS).

I haven't benchmarked iSCSI vs SMB, but from what I've read I suspect that iSCSI is faster for small file transfers, but SMB is somewhat faster for large file transfers.  Though that might well depend on the NAS model.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements