× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ITunes Streaming Service

the888account
Aspirant

ITunes Streaming Service

Hi all,

Recently purchased a ReadyNAS Duo : 2 x 2TB, no upgrades so as purchased otherwise. Connection is via BT Home Hub v2.0.

Everthing seems to work just fine, can access, back up, both drives sync'd, updated the firmware to 4.1.7.

Issue I have is with the Itunes streaming service, it works, but sort of doesnt....

I've set it up using the GUI FrontView, following which the 'service' appears in Itunes from where I can view and play songs from the library. However, its really intermittant.

- It wont stay online for more than a few mins
- Sometimes when I access the library, it goes offline whilst its refreshing the song list
- Doesnt appear in Itunes at all and I have to re-start the service a few times via FrontView

Fixs:
- Stopping and Starting the firefly service sometimes fixes it, but not always.
- Reboot doesnt seem to make much difference

What I have tried:

- Fixed IP for the NAS and DHCP options
- Fixed IP for laptop and DHCP options
- When using DHCP - long lease time of days
- Only other device on the network is a blackberry which connect wirelessly
- Firewall on laptop running Itunes OFF
- Removed and re-installed the Itunes Streaming Client on the DUO

Latest version of Itunes 10.4.1.10
In terms of wireless signal - very good. 10 foot from the HomeHub, no other connection issues.

Only thing I have noticed, which is a little is that the Duo doesnt appear on the 'Physical Connections' list on the Home Hub. The Hub knows its connected (I can see the connection, via list of IP address assigned), but on the "whats connected now" view, the laptop and blackberry are only present - Not the Duo. Even though it is and I can ping, transfer data to and from.

Any thoughts?
Ben
Message 1 of 2
the888account
Aspirant

Re: ITunes Streaming Service

OK - this seems to be a common issue - but no real resolution it seems. Joy!

Isnt a big issue, I can stick all my music on the laptop and play from there - but be nice to have if I ever go down the route of wanting to stream Apple TV or something.

So - will keep tinkering.

Have rolled back Itunes v10 to v9.2.1.5 as a few threads have cited V10 as being the issue. No joy though - same issue: Shows for 1 -2 mins, then dissapears.

Reasonably sure its not a networking issue (in terms of IP etc) since it works for a bit, would expect it just not to work at all if there was something wrong there.

Will try to play with the BT firewall - see if that helps out. Wonder if its a BT Home Hub issue...? Not really designed / supported for anything useful. Annoying, its gonna cost me £50 to try another modem/router though....

Will post back if I get it working, but still welcome any thoughts people may have.
Has anyone else go this up and running on a BT Hub ?
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements