× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Impending doom, how do i upgrade disk

tuberlook1
Aspirant

Impending doom, how do i upgrade disk

I have a ultra 2  raidiator 4.2.26 with 2 x 2tb flex raid, two volumes ,Disk one is showing errors. Both drives are backed up to external usb drives so data is OK for now. I am going to replace the suspect drive with a new 3tb drive

How do I go about doing this ? 

Is the OS on the drive or unit ?

I have a number of installed addons e.g python, SAB,sickbeard etc will they all have to be reinstalled and reconfigured ? 

Thanks people.

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

All you need to do is remove the bad disk (with the NAS running) and hot-insert the new one.  The array should rebuild automatically.

The OS is stored on the drives, but your configuration isn't effected at all in a normal disk replacement.

Message 2 of 8
tuberlook1
Aspirant

Sweet ! I will order the 3tb now, hopefully in before weekend, will post back and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

>>>

2 x 2tb flex raid, two volumes

>>>

OOPS, just saw the 2 volume part.  I was assuming flexraid/raid-1 not jbod.

That means you will lose the data volume on the failed drive and you will need to restore it from your backup.

The OS is mirrored, so you should still be able to destroy the bad volume and create a new one without losing your add-ons.

However, you should be prepared to reinstall them if something goes wrong,

Message 4 of 8
tuberlook1
Aspirant

No probs, I am more worried about the settings for SAB and sickbeard it took me ages to get them working together. is there a way to backup their respective settings and restore them ?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you have ssh enabled, you could try to find the folders in the OS where the settings are stored, and copy them off to the data partition of the second disk.

Or try to capture screen shots of all the config information on a PC???

Message 6 of 8
tuberlook1
Aspirant

Ok,
I purchased a WD 3TB disk WD30EZRX (this is not on the compatibility list for the ReadyNAS Ultra 2. the 3TB WD30EZ(RS) which is on the compatibility list, was not available. The RX version has been successfully installed by other users of the Ultra nas without issue, however Netgear may not stand over the NAS if a NAS fault with these disks installed) for €132.00 delivered from Germany to Ireland.

Readynas ultra 2, two drives one volume per drive flex RAID 0 jbod.

Anyway the following is how the transfer( after a bit of trial and error) to swap the faulty disk from bay 1 AKA volume C and restore settings for SABnzbd and Sickbeard.

1. I backed up both volumes C and D to external USB drives, both volumes from the NAS are mapped to my PC, so I also copied the following folders from the C drive “.sabnzbd” for SAB and “.sickbeard” for Sickbeard to my laptop. You may have to enable Show Hidden files and folders in order to see these folders.

2. With the NAS running I removed the faulty disk “ bay 1 volume C” and replaced it with the new WD 3TB disk.

3. I Logged into Frontview and checked health status where the new Disk showed up correctly, at this stage the NAS did not start any auto configuration and the status lights for the disks on frontview were flashing yellow. I then reset the NAS.

4. Restarting Frontview a LOG appeared informing that “Volume scan failed to run properly” however all drive indicators were now green. I Proceded to volume settings , clicked “add Voulme” the new drive was the only one listed, with only one option of “ Raid Level 0” available, I selected and restarted NAS as instructed.

5. Restarted Frontview a LOG again appeared with “ Volume scan failed to run Properly” all lights green, status of disk was OK, checked volume settings and the new drive is there, listed as Volume C but a notice appears “ this volume will not be added until you restart the device” restarted the NAS relogged into Frontview , no error LOGs this time and new drive shows up on Frontview Home page as volume C single Disk, everything is OK.

6. I recreate the shares as I had them on my old C volume on the NAS.

7. Check the mapped C drive from the NAS on my PC, and see that SABnzbd has recreated its folder but Sickbeard has not, starting SAB it has reset itself back to its original first day install interface. Sickbeard will not launch at all.

8. I go to installed addons and disable SAB and Sickbeard, go to the mapped C drive on my PC and delete the newly created SAB folder for the C volume on the NAS, and then copy and paste the original backed up folders .sabnzbd and .sickbeard directly into the C volume of the NAS.

9. Restart SAB and Sickbeard, reset the NAS for good measure and all is well, SAB returned exactly as it had been on the old disk, as did Sickbeard, all scripts and API’s working perfectly.

10. Restored the C drive from my USB drive backup and all is back to normal, the D drive was not affected by the swap out.

So if this helps anybody else and gives you piece of mind, excellent!, Im just happy everything is back to normal and I didn’t have to relearn how to set up the scripts for SAB and Sickbeard !!!

I also took StephenB advice from earlier posts and took screen shots of all the folders and settings etc. just in case everything went belly up, not a bad idea and was handy to refer back to in certain areas of the install.

Message 7 of 8
tuberlook1
Aspirant

Sorry there was one or two things i forgot to add

In sickbeard it was necessary to go to mass update , select edit tick box for all shows submit and redirect to the new tv show directory location, if you do not do this all listings in sickbeard will have directory missing error.
And finally I also did the same backup procedure as outlined above for Transmission and everything returned as before.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements