× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Improve BitTorrent Sync Speed on LAN

wazhappenindude
Aspirant

Improve BitTorrent Sync Speed on LAN

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAS 102 and installed the BitTorrent Sync app version 2.0.105. I also installed latest BT Sync client on my Windows PC to synchronize/backup files to ReadyNAS.

I have everything set up correctly and files are synching but I noticed the speed is limited between 5 and 6 MB/s. On the Windows client, I set the option 'lan_encrypt_data' to false, but on the ReadyNAS this option is not available.

My network connections are gigabit so I would like to know if there is a way to improve the speed within my LAN.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Improve BitTorrent Sync Speed on LAN

Hi wazhappenindude,

I haven't tried using BT Sync client, but I would recommend you to create a backup job that copies your PC files (folder or volume) to one of the shares in your ReadyNAS system. I hope you could have a quick try and see if the transfer speed will be much faster than the 5-6mbps speed that you are currently getting from the 3rd party backup software that you're using.

Backup job - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23424/~/how-do-i-configure-the-remote-source-or-destin...

Windows backup - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24913

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 5
wazhappenindude
Aspirant

Hello,

When I copy files directly to the ReadyNAS, the transfer speed is between 30-40 MB/s.

Thanks,

Roehl

Message 3 of 5
dwarak
Aspirant

A number of factors can affect how quickly your files transfer between devices. One of the most significant is whether your other devices are connected "directly" (i.e. appear on the same LAN), or "indirectly" (relayed).
Generally speaking, "direct" connections are preferable as they are significantly faster than relayed connections. Therefore, the first step to improving sync speed would be to try and ensure that direct connections are established between your devices. If they all reside on the same physical local LAN, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if they are "remote", you could consider establishing a VPN in order to make your remote devices appear as though they're all on the same local LAN.
Once your devices all appear on the same LAN, follow the steps in the article "Can I force Sync to do local network (LAN) syncing only and not sync via the Internet?" to restrict syncing to your local LAN.
Next, if possible, assign static IPs to your devices, and then use the "pre-defined hosts" settings (again, these are per folder) to list your devices. At the same time, untick the "Search LAN" option. By doing this, Sync will then know exactly where to connect without having to spend time searching for other devices.

Make sure you've not set any upload/download rate limits in Sync, and set the advanced "rate_limit_local_peers" setting is set to "false"
Another advanced setting that can be set to "false" to potentially further improve transfer speed is the "lan_encrypt_data" setting.

If you have a more powerful device, you could also consider setting "disk_low_priority" to "false", and increasing the size of "recv_buf_size" and "send_buf_size" to get a further speed advantage.

One final thing that can improve overall performance of Sync is how fragmented your hard discs are. The less fragmented, the better nc indexing speed will be - so if you've not de-fragmented your drives for a while, it's worth doing! Corporate training in chennai

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@wazhappenindude wrote:

Hello,

When I copy files directly to the ReadyNAS, the transfer speed is between 30-40 MB/s.

Thanks,

Roehl

I've measured about 50 MB/s write speed with NasTester (http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance).  The PC performance can play into this, but also RN102 apps.  Do you have antivirus turned on?

I haven't played with bt sync, so I have no specific advice there.  Other than the obvious - the RN102 is the entry level NAS, and the CPU gets loaded down very quickly.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements