× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is My UPS Set Up Correctly?

XrayDoc88
Guide

Is My UPS Set Up Correctly?

I have several CyberPower UPS systems.  When connected to a computer with the USB cable I have always had to install a CyberPower program to allow the computer to shut down gracefully or to test the UPS, etc.  When I connected my UPS to my ReadyNAS with the USB cable, the UPS showed up automatically under admin page>system>power>UPS.  I haven't installed any software and there doesn't seem to be any way of changing any settings for the UPS.

Is everything as expected?  Will my NAS power off gracefully with a prolonged power failure without any additional input from me?  Thanks!

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 5
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: Is My UPS Set Up Correctly?

It should work fine. The NAS automatically detects the UPS.

If you are not sure and want to test things out power down the NAS. Connect the NAS power to the wall outlet, but the USB cable to the UPS.

Unplug the power to the UPS and see if the NAS gracefully shuts down before the UPS battery runs out or if it keeps running.

Message 2 of 5
XrayDoc88
Guide

Clever!  So I guess the UPS will not know that the NAS is actually powered by a separate wall outlet?  It should just realize that it (the UPS) has no power, so should initiate the shutdown of whatever is connected by USB?  That sounds like it could work.  🙂

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, but with no load, it could take a while to run down the battery.  Attaching a 100W incandescent light to the UPS can shorten the time.

Message 4 of 5
XrayDoc88
Guide

Good point!  I do have other items such as my switches and router plugged into the same UPS.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements