× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there a 10TB "cap" on X-RAID2 on Readynas Ultra 4?

LotW
Aspirant

Is there a 10TB "cap" on X-RAID2 on Readynas Ultra 4?

Hello.
Title says it all. i have a Readynas Ultra 4 where i had 4x 3TB drives in X-RAID2 ending up in a volume of 8326GB. since it was begining to fill up and Netgear had added the 4TB Hitachi 7k4000 to the compatability list i orderd 6x of those drives (two to backup the old data and 4x to install into the NAS).

Now since ive read that X-RAID2 has a expansion cap of 8TB (as i understand it u cant expand it more then 8TB from the original volume size) and i started out with 4x 2TB drives (where the volume was about 5.5 - 5.6TB) i desided to backup all data and rip out the the 3TB's and do a fresh install with the 4x 4TB drives...

Well i expected to get a volume of about 10,9TB, but instead i get a volume if exactly 10TB....

Now the nas UI says i have 4x drives of 3726GB, and if u count one for redundancy u have 3 left, so thats (3726x3)/1024x10.914(ish)... so it seems im missing 0.9TB.

Ive tried to find out of this is a limit of X-RAID2 (with 4 drives) or if its a limitation in of the Readynas ultra 4, but cant find any info on it.

Would realy like it if someone could answer me on this.
(The nas is running the latest RAIDiator, as of today thats v4.2.24)
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is there a 10TB "cap" on X-RAID2 on Readynas Ultra 4?

There are some overheads. Frontview rounds down the capacity so a volume it displays as 10TB might be closer to 11TB.
Message 2 of 3
LotW
Aspirant

Re: Is there a 10TB "cap" on X-RAID2 on Readynas Ultra 4?

yes u seem to be right, i checked the volume as a network drive in windows and its 10.8TB there... but when i had 4x3TB drives it showed total capacity in GBs (8326GB to be exact), why change to TB when u reach 10 (im assuming thats the "magic number") when it doesnt include decimals? i mean the accuracy is shit (pardon my french).

thx for the clarification, guess i should have checked the actual volume before i posted instead of relying on the web ui of the nas...
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements