× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Pro Pioneer Keeps Restarting after shutting down.

pricey4907
Aspirant

Readynas Pro Pioneer Keeps Restarting after shutting down.

Hi all, I have had my readynas for over 4 years now and recently I have been having trouble with my Pro Pioneer refusing to stay turned off, I Disabled the power schedule a few months ago and since then it keeps rebooting after shutting down.

I have tried disabling services and WOL, and I have restored the firmware to no avail. I installed plex few months before disabling the schedule so was wondering if that could be something to do with it, I have tried turning off the popcorn hour and all the networked devices in case they are somehow triggering the reboot.

I also tried shutting it down and quickly turning it of at the back.... :cry: OOPS, it took me a whole day and a lot of worry before it thankfully booted up again.

Does anyone have any similar experience or a solution, it stays on now and keeps the living room warm 🙂
Message 1 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Readynas Pro Pioneer Keeps Restarting after shutting dow

How are you shutting it down - power button or Frontview?
If you re-enable the power schedule and get it to do a scheduled power off, what happens?
When you say you restored the firmware, do you mean you did an OS reinstall?
Message 2 of 13
pricey4907
Aspirant

I have tried turning off with the front power button and in front view with the same result.
Enabling the schedule turns off at scheduled times but still turns back on, approximately 10 seconds later.
I have tried OS reinstall twice and nothing has changed.

Thank you.
Message 3 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

I would contact support. I think the pro pioneer warranty is only 3 years, but they may help you, possibly for a fee.
Message 4 of 13
pricey4907
Aspirant

I have just filled out a support request. thank you, looking forward to getting it sorted.
Message 5 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

I had a quick search of the forums, there are a couple of threads about this problem with the pro pioneer. In 1 case the owner got an RMA, in the other there is no outcome but the unit died and I would assume the user got a replacement. These cases were under warranty though.
Message 6 of 13
pricey4907
Aspirant

I Got a call from a readynas level 2 technician today, he logged into the NAS and it seems the flash memory is corrupted so I am getting a new chassis sent out for the cost of £15 :-D.
I have 10 days to return the faulty chassis so almost no down time other than swapping out the drives and PSU.
Very Happy ReadyNAS user.
Message 7 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

That's good support.
Message 8 of 13
ian_uk
Aspirant

Hi,

It should arrive by next day delivery, mine did. Use the packaging to send the olden' back. You'll need to phone Enfield to arrange this. Be aware that Enfield may not be as nice as the people in Cork and the States are (John & David dealt with me and phoned me too). May be Enfield was having a bad day! You might be greeted with Just "Hello", then silence, this'll be your turn to talk, hoping you have the right number!! Apart from that the service was excellent. Just wish the replacement was working!!!

Ian, UK
Message 9 of 13
pricey4907
Aspirant

😞 oh well, My replacement arrived and turns on and then died when updating the firmware, it now refuses to boot up and keeps restarting after getting an ip address.
Message 10 of 13
ian_uk
Aspirant

Oh what a start to the week........
My replacement for the replacement has arrived too this morning and guess what. It's rebooted three times so far whilst doing a resync. I can't login to the box either as the password I supplied to support doesn't work. It also came with .15 firmware the original box was on .24 when it died. And as I type it's rebooted again, this time at 3.2% Resync done.
We'll see what support have to say.
Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can't downgrade to 4.2.15. This will inevitably lead to issues. Hopefully support can help resolve the issue. Keep us posted here on how your case goes.

For future reference, I always recommend using a spare disk (not from your array) to update the firmware before migrating disks across to a replacement unit. If you don't have a spare disk support can update the firmware manually (or if you PM me and I'm available I can do it).
Message 12 of 13
ian_uk
Aspirant

Oh well, Disk five has finely departed this world. Was hoping to upgrade the disks when there was a better choice of 4TB disks to choose from, but alas it seems I'll have to replace disk five with one of the 3TB on the list. I'll be really miffed if in a few days time a whole host of 4TB disks get added to the list! Oh! what to do next.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements