× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Kernel panic after power outage NV+

RTFM11199
Aspirant

Kernel panic after power outage NV+

Hi All,

New User and been enjoying my ReadyNAS NV+ 4 x 2TB Drives for many years now.

I suffered and outage and my NAS started playing up. (Unable to get into Setup, LCD not flashing IP Address after quick power press)
RAIDar indicated all systems were running ok so I believe my data etc. is fine.

I couldn't get into the setup I did an OS reinstall to reinstall the firmware from the system’s internal flash to its disks as the manual indicated.
I then got the kernel panic error.

I have a friend who as the same NAS.

What should I do next, noting I haven't updated my firmware in 1yr+.
Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Kernel panic after power outage NV+

Test the disks using vendor tools ( extended tests)
While you are doing that, factory default the nas with a spare known good disk in the chassis, obviously having removed and labelled the other disks.
What firmware is on?
Do you have a backup?
You could put all the disks into your friend's nas to test the array and/ or to retrieve your data. If you do this make sure all the disks are inserted with the nas off, and in the correct order. Make sure you update your friend's nas firmware to the latest version before doing this.
Message 2 of 8
RTFM11199
Aspirant

Cheers for the response.

Which disk tools are you referring to?

Would a USB Boot of latest firmware not work?
I just don't have an extra blanks drive handy.

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

You should use the disk manufacturers test tools, WD has lifeguard seagate has seatools.
The usb boot recovery is only appropriate when you have diagnosed that the firmware on the flash is corrupt. You haven't established that yet.
Kernel panic messages are non-specific and don't really help you, hence the advice I gave about the spare disk. If this procedure works then the flash is ok, if it doesn't then I would try a usb boot.
Message 4 of 8
RTFM11199
Aspirant

Hi Again.
Well it doesn't look good..still hoping!

I have moved my drives over to my friends working ReadyNAS and I get another Kernal Panic!!!
I am currently resetting my NAS with a spare drive, all is going well I can access it via my PC and its creating c: drive now which confirms my NAS is still OK.

Questions:
1) Is my Data or just my c: drive on my disk set bad?
2) What's the easiest way to physically connect to PC to run Seatools noting i have 4 x Seagates?

Cheers
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the best way would be to connect to an internal SATA port in your PC. Other methods are less likely to work.
Message 6 of 8
RTFM11199
Aspirant

Success!
So I borrowed a Sata Drive Dock and ran Seatools from the Seagate website across all four drives.
Drive 4 would not load up!

Put 1,2,& 3 back into their correct bays on my NAS which I had reinstalled the OS with a spare drive earlier.
And shes off and running!!!

Finally got to access the setup and two things I noticed.

1) my email notification was not working properly
2) my nas had been trying to email me for months saying "Dude your drive 4 is going to go".

So off to the store to get a replacement and update the email notification and we're all back in order!
No loss of data and Im picking up a $100 UPS to make life a little easier for my NAS.

Thanks guys for all your support!
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

a UPS is a great idea.

If you are using gmail for email notifications there are some things you need to set up on the google side.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements