× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LUN Disconnection caused loss of data

GloveNInja217
Aspirant

LUN Disconnection caused loss of data

Good afternoon everyone,

Last weekend I removed everything from my NAS and transferred it to other PCs so I could factory reset the NAS.

I reconfigured it and generated a LUN which I mounted to my HTPC as a drive. My PC was power cycled because the cable got unplugged; when I brought it back online the LUN was gone. I added it back to the PC and waited 30 minutes. The folder structure returned, but only some of my data came back.

The properties show that 3.5TB is used, but when I run a check on everything in there I only see 995GB used. Some of my data is in Limbo and I don't know how to find it.

Can someone please help me in the steps to recover my data? I'm not sure what to do and I can't find anything online to help me.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: LUN Disconnection caused loss of data

Assuming you're using NTFS you'd need to use tools designed for the NTFS filesystem.

So you don't have a backup?

With LUNs it's advisable to use a UPS to reduce the likelihood of an unsafe shutdown.

Regardless of whether you use LUNs or not or what device you use you should backup important data regularly. Don't store it on just the one device.

Message 2 of 7
GloveNInja217
Aspirant

Do you have any recommendations for tools I can use for NTFS file recovery? Have you ever experienced this type of an issue before with the data existing in this "Limbo" state? I'm at a point where I'm ready to cut my losses and refresh the NAS once more. I'm now 2TB short on my total space and no way to find/remove that data.

I have backups in place, but not for my media and I have a UPS, but that doesn't fix someone in your home unplugging your hardware.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@GloveNInja217 wrote:

Do you have any recommendations for tools I can use for NTFS file recovery?

You could try this: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

I've never used it, but other easeus tools have worked ok for me.

Message 4 of 7
GloveNInja217
Aspirant

I will definitely give that tool a try.

Do you know if I've configured my LUN wrong based on the problem? When the computer is power cycled the LUN shouldn't just disconnect right? Before I refreshed my NAS and upgraded the OS, I would reboot my PC and when I turned it back on I would see the LUN connected still as a M: in the computer.

Any ideas as to why that isn't happening now?

Also, I just power cycled my PC again. I lost the LUN, reattached it, and now I'm getting an error about the recycle bin being corrupted. Thoughts?

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?

Do you have a static I.P. set on the NAS?

Message 6 of 7
GloveNInja217
Aspirant

I am running OS 6.6.1 on the ReadyNAS. I have assigned a static IP to one of the NICs on the device. I do not have enough ports to plug in the secondary NIC as well so that is not being used.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements