× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Large Outlook files

Milkbar
Aspirant

Large Outlook files

Hopefully a quick one for someone out there!

How can I best backup my Outlook files? I currently use 'timestamp' for all my backups, but that does not seem very efficient for my large Outlook files. The problem is that the 'date' changes as soon as you use or access these (Outlook archive) files with the Outlook client.

FrontView Backup then tries to copy (in my case wirelessly) the whole Outlook file again to my ReadyNas Ultra device, while essentially nothing has really changed 'content-wise' in the Outlook file. This is for my 'static' Outlook archive file, but I have the same problem with my 'running' archive file, which is currently about 2Gb in size and increases in size every time the auto archive function runs in Outlook.

How can I best back up these Outlook files? What do other people do?

Cheers,
Message 1 of 7
ihartley
Tutor

When I used Outlook I'd get it to auto-archive to a different PST file every week or so, that way the "big" file only changes once a week and the normal file (where you send and receive mail) is much smaller.
Message 2 of 7
coreyinoz
Tutor

Rsync is smart enough to get differential changes in .PST files, only sending the bits that changed. My experience is that it only sends 1 or 2 MB in a 500MB file after a couple of days of light e-mail traffic.

The backup will fail if the .PST is open at the time, but shut Outlook and let it rip. You can see my other thread regarding using DeltaCopy in Windows to run as your Rsync service. Frontview will grab the folders and do differentials.
Message 3 of 7
EugeneOwens
Aspirant

To effectively manage your large size PST files into smaller pieces. You can take help of third party tool to split your large PST file according to date, year, size, and folder. The tool also supports all versions of MS Outlook.
http://www.undeletepcfiles.com/split-pst-file.html
Message 4 of 7
barsewatson
Aspirant

There are an other useful information about split PST files, you can use user-friendly tool
 http://www.pstsplit.com
to split PST files according date, year, size, and folder. The software is also supported by all versions of MS Outlook and supports all windows platforms.
Message 5 of 7
chriswoakes
Aspirant

You can take help of third party tool
http://www.splitpsttool.net
to split large size PST file according to date, size, year and email ID. The utility is well supported by all versions of MS Outlook and all Windows Platforms.
Message 6 of 7
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Why are there so many of you guys trolling web forums for opportunities to pimp your PST-file splitting programs? There must be a hundred of you -- way more than I see advertising other utility programs that I imagine would be more widely desired.

Outlook's 2GB crash bug was fixed a decade ago, so your programs don't do anything that I couldn't do myself from within Outlook. Why would I send money to you?

More importantly -- and maybe this answers my first question -- why would I give something as sensitive as my entire email history to a program written by someone I don't know?
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements