× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking to purchase a spare ReadyNAS Pro 6

steveoelliott
Luminary

Looking to purchase a spare ReadyNAS Pro 6

Hi all,

Does anybody know where I may be able to purchase (idealy unused) a ReadyNAS Pro 6 now? I know they are end of life but I would like one to have as a cold standby.

Thanks...

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Looking to purchase a spare ReadyNAS Pro 6

Amazon still shows a couple, but they might not be from approved resellers.  

Message 2 of 12
steveoelliott
Luminary

Thanks... I should have said I am UK based and those hideously overpriced units are with US sellers.

Message 3 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello steveoelliott,

Try ebay where pre-owned units are being sold. We do not recommend buying second hand devices, though. These devices are considered refurb units that no longer have support and warranty.

Regards,

Message 4 of 12
steveoelliott
Luminary

So no way of getting one through Netgear now?

Message 5 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello steveoelliot,

It already joined end of line products.

Please see EOL list, this has the ReadyNAS model replacement for the Pro 6.

Regards,

Message 6 of 12
steveoelliott
Luminary

I know, however I would like a spare.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@steveoelliott wrote:

I know, however I would like a spare.

My guess is that you need to get used equipment.  In 2013 there were deals on new PROs because channels were clearing inventory for the RN500 series.  But the few left clearly aren't priced to sell.

It might not need to be a pro-6.  An ultra-6 or ultra-6 plus might do as well.

Message 8 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

He;;p steveoelliott,

I understand, but that is no longer available from Netgear. Hopefully a community member here will see you post and decide to sell you one.

Regards,

Message 9 of 12
steveoelliott
Luminary

I'll keep my eyes out for one... I know that Netgear would have spares if I needed to RMA them (they are 3 and 4 years old so under warranty) but I just want to have one ready. 

Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A second hand unit may be in questionable condition.

There is a process that you can use to attempt data recovery from a Pro 6 using e.g. a RN516 should the Pro 6 fail. See ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator to OS 6

I think getting a RN316 or RN516 in the event the Pro 6 fails would make more sense.

There will come a point at which we no longer stock the Pro in our RMA centres at which point if there are units out there still under warranty they would likely be replaced by an OS6 NAS in the event an RMA is needed.

Message 11 of 12
steveoelliott
Luminary

Thanks.... In the worst case scenario that you had to recover data from legacy RAIDiator 4.2 on OS6, I've gone through the guide and wanted to clarify one thing:

• Insert the spare blank disk into the ReadyNAS OS 6 chassis
  • Reset to Factory defaults. Follow this guide to of your ReadyNAS and perform a Factory default
  • Perform a firmware update. It is important that the version of firmware is upgraded to 6.2.3 or newer. Latest version of firmware is available from the product page of your ReadyNAS.
  • Shut down the ReadyNAS OS 6 chassis.
  • Insert the disks from your legacy ReadyNAS into the ReadyNAS OS 6 chassis.
  • Boot the ReadyNAS OS 6.

Where it says insert disks from your legacy ReadyNAS, does it mean in addition to the spare blank one? Or at this stage are we to remove the spare blank disk? I thought the OS was stored on the disk so without it, the device wouldn't be able to boot at all.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements