× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lost access to ReadyNAS 214

Wolf54-2
Aspirant

Lost access to ReadyNAS 214

Hi everyone,

I have a grave problem with my ReadyNAS 214. I'm working with this device several years now. I have the latest firmware on it (6.10.3) and everything seemed to be working fine up until a week ago.

The device suddenly disappeared from my internal network. A ping to the device is unsuccessful. However, the device shows a valid DHCP obtained IP. Since years, it's always the same address. I shut down the device, rebooted the DHCP server (pi-hole on a Raspsberry Pi 3B), watched the ethernet with Wireshark on my laptop and switched the device back on. It goes through the normal boot process and obtains a valid IP address. It shows on the devices display and I can see the negotiation in the wireshark log.

After that, I can't ping the device, Can't access the web config. I used Raidar 6.5.0. It will detect the device, shows the assigned IP, the serial number, the model, the name, but when I try to open the Admin page, or try to download the logs, it tells me I can't access the device from my computer.

I tried swapping the network port (gives me a different IP address as expected) and even tried 'OS re-install' that preserves everything, but resets the admin password to the default.

No luck. Can't access the device.

What am I missing here? Has anybody seen this behaviour before? What else could I try to regain access?

Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Wolf54-2 wrote:

Disk 1, the oldest and smallest (Hitachi, 2TB)

Error 1150 [1] occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 17934 hours (747 days + 6 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
ER -- ST COUNT LBA_48 LH LM LL DV DC
-- -- -- == -- == == == -- -- -- -- --
84 -- 51 00 71 00 00 00 a0 7f cf 00 00 Error: ICRC, ABRT 113 sectors at LBA = 0x00a07fcf = 10518479

That's the only disk that reports any sectors and errors.

Could that one disk inhibit the network access to the device?

A followup here - you should check the current power-on hours, and see how long ago this error occured.

Are you seeing other issues with this drive (reallocated sectors, etc)?

If the error happened before the problem began, then it's probably not the cause.  I'd also expect to see more than one occurance.

But generally - disk problems can create problems with access, because retries and error processing can load down the system.

Maybe try journalctl -r

If you want to search it, you could use something like

# journalctl -r --no-pager | grep -i error

-k might also be useful (only showing kernel entries).

@Wolf54-2 wrote:

I have a spare, new 8TB disk on the shelf. Would it be wise to swap out that small, old Hitachi disk.
Replacing one disk should trigger a data recovery, right? Would that also restore network access?

I wouldn't do that yet.  If the problem isn't the disk, it won't help (and could complicate things).

One option is to go with brute-force - doing a factory reset, reconfiguring the NAS, and restoring data from backup.  While that might end up the only way to resolve it, it'd be best to figure out what is going on.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You might check the warranty status (which is three years).

Do you have ssh enabled?  If so, does that still work?

A failing disk is a possibility.  If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock), then you might want to power down the NAS and test them with vendor tools - seatools for seagate, lifeguard for westen digital.  Use the long test.   Label the disks by slot as you remove them.

Message 2 of 12
Wolf54-2
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

yes, I have ssh enabled. I am using the device as a backup for many other small computers. I use rsync for doing this.

Any attempt to connect to the device using Putty via ssh times out.

When I use Raidar, it shows me the 3 installed disks, all healty.

As a last resort, I will get the disks out and try to recover the data (Terabytes, of course), but I was hoping that somebody knows of some system tools that Netgear uses to get into the device, or perform a factory reset without destroying the data. I may even consider to engage Netgear and pay for their service to save the data. Just wanted to exhaust all options to do this on my own first.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

You could potentially boot up in tech support mode.  You could then chroot, and at least check disk health with smartctl, and also look at the fullness of the OS partition.

First you'd boot up the NAS in tech support mode, and then telnet in.  Log in as root, and use the password infr8ntdebug

After that

# rnutil chroot

which will start raid and chroot.

The normal steps to mount the data volume are

# btrfs device scan
# btrfs fi show
# mount /dev/md127 /data
Message 4 of 12
Wolf54-2
Aspirant

Thank you for the tip. I will try that next when I get home from work tonight.

Message 5 of 12
Wolf54-2
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your help. I was able to boot the device into 'Tech Support' mode, get into a console and followed the advice to mount the file system.

It appears that all the data is still there. Any advice what to do, in order to restore the Admin UI and SMB access?

--

Thanks

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Did you use smartctl to query the disk health?

Also, how full is the root partition?

Message 7 of 12
Wolf54-2
Aspirant

Yes, I ran 'smartctl -x' for /dev/sda, sdb and sdc (I have 3 disks in the device). There is a lot of details coming out, but the essencial line, I think, would be:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

The system is not even close to it's capacity. About 650GB used of 9.1TB total.

I ran this command:

df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 3.7G 960M 2.6G 28% /
udev 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 1009M 8.0K 1009M 1% /run
/dev/md127 9.1T 653G 8.5T 8% /data

That looks all normal to me.

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

How about reallocated or pending sectors, or timeouts?

Message 9 of 12
Wolf54-2
Aspirant

This is what I get:

/dev/sda: Pending Defects log (GP Log 0x0c) not supported
/dev/sdb:

# smartctl -l defects /dev/sda
Pending Defects log (GP Log 0x0c) not supported

# smartctl -l defects /dev/sdb
Pending Defects log (GP Log 0x0c)
No Defects Logged

# smartctl -l defects /dev/sdc
Pending Defects log (GP Log 0x0c)
No Defects Logged

But from the comprehensive log (smartctl -x) I get this output:

Error 1150 [1] occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 17934 hours (747 days + 6 hours)

84 -- 51 00 71 00 00 00 a0 7f cf 00 00 Error: ICRC, ABRT 113 sectors at LBA = 0x00a07fcf = 10518479

I searched the output of all disks (smartctl -x) for 'timeout', but did not find anything about timeouts.

I have a spare, new 8TB disk on the shelf. Would it be wise to swap out that small, old Hitachi disk.
Replacing one disk should trigger a data recovery, right? Would that also restore network access?

I could also zip up the output and attach it here, if that helps.

Oh, btw, thanks for all your help. Very much appreciated.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Wolf54-2 wrote:

A followup here - you should check the current power-on hours, and see how long ago this error occured.

Are you seeing other issues with this drive (reallocated sectors, etc)?

If the error happened before the problem began, then it's probably not the cause.  I'd also expect to see more than one occurance.

But generally - disk problems can create problems with access, because retries and error processing can load down the system.

Maybe try journalctl -r

If you want to search it, you could use something like

# journalctl -r --no-pager | grep -i error

-k might also be useful (only showing kernel entries).

@Wolf54-2 wrote:

I wouldn't do that yet.  If the problem isn't the disk, it won't help (and could complicate things).

One option is to go with brute-force - doing a factory reset, reconfiguring the NAS, and restoring data from backup.  While that might end up the only way to resolve it, it'd be best to figure out what is going on.

Message 11 of 12
Wolf54-2
Aspirant

I was able to safe all the information off that device. Will try to run a factory reset and see if it recovers.

Thanks for all your help.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements