× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost network link on a NV+

mspetersen
Aspirant

Lost network link on a NV+

I've had a NV+ runnning with my iMac for several years. I was using it to hold all my iTunes files since I have a lot of digitized movies. Noticed it "disappeared" from the finder. Rebooted it and now it gives a "no network link" on the display screen, doesn't show up on RaidAR and I can't access it through the admin window. 

Suggestions?

Is there any way to recover the date off the hard drives without sending them to a data recovery outfit?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
mspetersen
Aspirant

Re: Lost network link on a NV+

Do they need to be identical?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 22

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

First confirm which version you have by using this guide:

http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Is there activity evident on the LAN port lights?

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable, different port on your router/switch?

You have no backup.

If the NIC is dead:

You could put the array into another similar unit.

You can buy a new nas and ask Netgear to help you migrate the data.

In some situations you can mount the array on a Linux PC.

Message 2 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

Its a NV+ V1

Swapped two differnet LAN cables, swapped router ports. No difference.

I do get green lights by the LAN cable in the back.

On the front, all four drives lights are solid green, however the Activity light flashes rapidly and the Blue power button blinks slowly.

If I do end up purchasing a new NAS, any idea how difficult is it to migrate to the new device?

Message 3 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

Ok, so the hardware might be ok.

Do you have a spare disk, if so, power down, remove and label the disks that are currently in the nas.

Then insert the spare disk, power up into the boot menu and factory default the unit.  See if the unit functions normally then.

If it does then this this is probably fixable.

I would test all 4 disks while they are out ( use vendor tools)

If it doesn't boot then there is either a problem with the flash, the memory or other hardware.  Some of these may be fixable.  You could also run a memory test from the boot menu if the unit fails to boot up normally with the spare disk.

Data migration to a new readynas works if the array is ok, Netgear may charge a fee, and you would need somewhere to backup the data during the process. 

First let's see if this is fixable.

Message 4 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

I removed the 4 drives and replaced them with a single spare. WHle it booted up and formatted the drives, still getting the "No Network Link" error on the screen.

One difference this time tho. The Green LED for the new drive is on & steady, the Green activity LED is no longer blinking, nor is the Blue power LED.

How do you run a memory test?

Message 5 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

One other item. The message "No Network Link" is alternating with "Requesting IP"

Message 6 of 22
StephenB
Guru

The memory test is run from the boot menu (see page 23 of http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/Duov1_NV%2Bv1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf).

How is the NAS connected to the router? Is it connected via a switch?

You can try a direct connect test perhaps (connecting the NAS directly to your PC ethernet port).  You'd need to temporarily assign a static IP address to the PC, and connect to the NAS by its IP address (or 192.168.168.168 if it is using DHCP).

Message 7 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

Memory tested Ok.

It showed up on a direct connection to my iMac with the test Hard drive, but unable to access it.

Reinstalled the original Hard Drives and the device shows up in the finder, however it will not let me access it. It does not appear on RaidAR, not can I access it through the admin portal. When I run an IP scan, it does show up with same IP displayed on the screen of the NV+

Message 8 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Is the NAS IP address in the same range as the one your Mac is using?

Message 9 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

Do they need to be identical?

Message 10 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

NV+ IP is 10.0.1.91

iMac is 10.0.1.92

Message 11 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

NV+ IP is 10.0.1.91

iMac IP is 10.0.1.92

All 4 drive lights are Solid Green. Activity light is flashing rapidly and the Blue Power light is on & steady. 

Message 12 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

When you say you can see the unit but you can't access it, what actually happens when you try to connect using raidar? The nas seems to have an IP address but you say the display says no network link and requesting IP? Is it still saying this?  Is this exactly the same after you factory default with a spare disk?  This last question is important as it probably indicates a problem on the flash.

Did you have ssh access enabled, if so can you get ssh access?

It is possible that you have OS corruption.  

It may be possible to fix this remotely, but you would need to pay for Netgear support to take a look.

It may also be worth considering a USB boot recovery.  This would reinstall the firmware onto the flash and hopefully fix whatever it is that is wrong. This really would be a last resort and I'd want you to have another opinion on this from another user here first.  Fixing this remotely would be the better option.

Message 13 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@mspetersen wrote:

NV+ IP is 10.0.1.91

iMac IP is 10.0.1.92

All 4 drive lights are Solid Green. Activity light is flashing rapidly and the Blue Power light is on & steady. 

These addresses are in the same range.  (BTW, if they were identical, your network wouldn't work).

Can you ping the NAS using 10.0.1.91?  You do that by opening terminal, and typing

ping 10.0.1.91

It should be pretty clear if there is an error.  You stop it by typing control+c

Message 14 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

SO this is what I get when I try to ping it: 

ping 10.0.1.91

PING 10.0.1.91 (10.0.1.91): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

ping: sendto: No route to host

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

ping: sendto: Host is down

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

Request timeout for icmp_seq 9

Request timeout for icmp_seq 10

Request timeout for icmp_seq 11

Request timeout for icmp_seq 12

Request timeout for icmp_seq 13

Request timeout for icmp_seq 14

Request timeout for icmp_seq 15

Request timeout for icmp_seq 16

^C

--- 10.0.1.91 ping statistics ---

18 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

marks-iMac:~ markpetersen$ 

Message 15 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Can you successfully ping your router?

It's IP is likely 10.0.1.1

Message 16 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

StephenB is going down the network diagnostic process, this is certainly a possibility.

There is a thread where a user had this problem which turned out to be a full OS partition.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/No-network-link-after-disk-1-failure-19879784/t...

If this can cause the no network link problem then it is possible that other OS problems may also cause it.  The factory default would sort out a full OS partition and you have done this with your spare disk.  

If your router is ok, then I still believe it is worth looking at the flash remotely or doing a USB boot recovery.  

Message 17 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@vandermerwe wrote:

StephenB is going down the network diagnostic process, this is certainly a possibility.

There is a thread where a user had this problem which turned out to be a full OS partition.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/No-network-link-after-disk-1-failure-19879784/t...

If this can cause the no network link problem then it is possible that other OS problems may also cause it.  The factory default would sort out a full OS partition and you have done this with your spare disk.  

If your router is ok, then I still believe it is worth looking at the flash remotely or doing a USB boot recovery.  

I won't do a USB recovery unless Netgear support or mdgm recommend it.  There is some risk I think.

I agree that the main possibilities would be failing hardware, something broken on the network, Full OS partition, and corrupt firmware.

The OS partition seems a bit less likely, since the fresh install on the scratch disk also misbehaved.

If you are the original purchaser, you could contact Netgear and ask for per-incident support.  They will charge, but it would likely resolved more quickly and with the least risk to your data. 

Message 18 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

By process of exclusion, full OS partition has been ruled out by the factory default on spare disk; network issues seem extremely unlikely given that the device seems to be allocated an IP address which raidar actually sees; and the NIC seems to be active unlike most other cases of hardware failure on the forums where there is no NIC led activity . 

So we are left with flash corruption (conceding of course that there may be other possibilities)

I was hoping mdgm would chime in with an opinion yesterday and did suggest to OP that I would hold off with the USB procedure until this opinion was forthcoming. 

Message 19 of 22
mspetersen
Aspirant

I am the original purchaser. I coming to believe it may have gotten "spiked" in a recent storm as shortly after the storm is when I started to notice it was offline. I did discover the network switch it was plugged into was bad, but even directly tied to my iMac is still says "No network link." Guess a call to Netgear is next. Ugh.

Thanks for the assistance.

Message 20 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

Yes. It is odd that the device is receiving an IP address though.

When you connect to your PC you would need to change the PC IP address to the same format as the nas at that point, which is probably 192.168.168.168. PC/Mac would need to be 192.168.168.x Does the nas display anything other than the no network link during direct connection.

If it does turn out to be a hardware problem then your best option is likely to be to get a new readynas and migrate the data ( assuming the array is ok) with Netgear's help.

Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@mspetersen wrote:

I am the original purchaser. I coming to believe it may have gotten "spiked" in a recent storm as shortly after the storm is when I started to notice it was offline. I did discover the network switch it was plugged into was bad, but even directly tied to my iMac is still says "No network link." Guess a call to Netgear is next. Ugh.

Thanks for the assistance.

Might be a failing NIC.  

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements