× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost volume after migration from RN314 to RN3138

Jellen
Aspirant

Lost volume after migration from RN314 to RN3138

Hi

I wanted to migrate my data and volume from a Readynas RN314 to a new rackmount RN3138.

Shut down both units, transferred the drives and kept the same drive order.

After boot I was able to login using my current account. But the volume doesn't show up.

I receive an error message to remove inactive volumes to use the disk #1,2,3

All help is welcome 🙂

Kind regards

Jellen

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lost volume after migration from RN314 to RN3138

Hi Jellen,

This should be fixed now. Please check if you can now access your volume.

The OS was filled up so one of our L3 experts cleaned it. The problem could be the Docker because he saw that installed.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jellen,

Do you have a backup of your data?

Can you also download the logs the send it to me via private message? We will check what caused the issue. You may upload the logs to a file-sharing site then send me the download link.

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

You didn't say you did, but I just want to verify that you did NOT export the volume (you shouldn't have).

Have you tried putting the drives back in the 314 and seeing what happens?  Assuming the three drives you listed are all there is, you could try every combination of two and see if it'll boot with a degraded volume.

Message 3 of 11
Jellen
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark

No I din't export the volume. John is looking into the logs but looks like my volume has 2 devices. I'll keep you guys up to date. 

Strange thing on the device my 3X 8TB Seagete disks show the Hard disk light continuos on, the one WD 3TB drive flickers. It's all one volume.

Thanks for the replies, keeping fingers crossed to recover the volume.

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Jellen wrote:

John is looking into the logs but looks like my volume has 2 devices.

If you vertically expanded the RN314 (upgrading to larger disks), then you have two RAID groups - md126 and md127 if you use XRAID.  Those show up as two inactive volumes in the admin web ui when the volume can't be mounted.

Message 5 of 11
Jellen
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB for your feedback. 

Do you also know the solution to recover from this situation? Can you do something wrong with a firmware reinstall in this situation? 

Kind regards

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Jellen wrote:

Do you also know the solution to recover from this situation? Can you do something wrong with a firmware reinstall in this situation? 

There's several potential causes, and I think Netgear is in a better position to fix it.  A firmware reinstall shouldn't have caused this.

But you shouldn't have needed to do a firmware reinstall - all you needed to do was migrate the disks and power up the NAS.  Did you do one anyway?

Message 7 of 11
Jellen
Aspirant

SetphenB

I did a migration of the disks to a brand new RN3138. 

Now I noticed that the original firmware on the device is older 6.9.3 and my RN314 was running on the current stable firmware version.

Perhaps something wrengt wrong because of this. I'll wait another day on the response of Netgear (John)

Regards

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

If you just migrated the drives from the old NAS to the new one and did a normal power-up, the firmware in the NAS flash should have updated to that on the drives.  The NAS would have done a double-boot.  It would first recognize the need for and perform the update, and then it would re-boot into that updated firmware.  It's unclear why that did not happen, unless you did do an OS re-install on the drives before you ever powered on the NAS with them installed.

Downgrading from 6.10.x to 6.9.x can cause issues.  A USB recovery to 6.10.x might fix it, but it is better to let Netgear try to sort it out.

It is reasons like this that we recommend using a spare drive to update the new NAS firmware to the same version as the old one before doing the drive transfer.

Message 9 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jellen,

This should be fixed now. Please check if you can now access your volume.

The OS was filled up so one of our L3 experts cleaned it. The problem could be the Docker because he saw that installed.

Regards,

Message 10 of 11
Jellen
Aspirant

Thanks for the support! Device is up and running again with all data intact. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements