× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mac Restore from Time Machine from ReadyNAS fail.

giosheringam
Aspirant

Mac Restore from Time Machine from ReadyNAS fail.

Hi all

I have recently changed the HDD of a Mac of mine and put a new SSD. After the OS installation, El Capitan, it asked as usual if I wanted to restore all the files from a Time Machine Backup.

The problem is when it started searching in the network, the Mac couldn't find the time machine backup located in the readynas, which was in the same network and active.

It has been the only moment that I needed my readynas and it failed...

I tried to put manually the server address, afp://...etc.etc., that I have found on the properties of the backup folder in the ready nas, but it couldn't access it too, as if it wasn't visible.

Luckily I have managed to do it another way using the old HDD, but what about a real failing of the whole HD happened?

Can you suggest me the proper how-to in case it should happen in the future?

Thanks a lot.

Giovanni

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Mac Restore from Time Machine from ReadyNAS fail.

Hi @giosheringam

When you tried to manually search using AFP, did it prompt for credentials or did not found the IP you entered? 

You should be able to locate the Sparse bundle since the NAS is online, there might be other reason why we cannot connect to the NAS to get the Time Machine backup. i.e. The MAC not connected on the Network or is not on the same Network. 

You might want to check on this article regarding Restoring from time machine.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
giosheringam
Aspirant

Re: Mac Restore from Time Machine from ReadyNAS fail.

Hi

when I manually entered the address via "enter server manually" I wasn't prompted the credentials, it tried to load the disk, put it on the list of the possible sources but then sent the message "impossible to access the server".

My backup is in a private time machine, I don't know if it could matter.

Thanks for the article.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements