× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MacOS Upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan and keeping Time Machine to Readynas NV+(Sparc) via AFP

keypepper1
Aspirant

MacOS Upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan and keeping Time Machine to Readynas NV+(Sparc) via AFP

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice to plan out a MacOS upgrade. I’m looking to upgrade my laptop OS which is currently on El Capitan 10.11.6 to a higher version that is supported with security updates. I currently have an old Readynas NV+ (sparc) that has radiator version 4.1.16. I use this for time machine backups and I believe discovery is done via AFP. I’m also led to believe from High Sierra onwards APFS is applied to the files system and AFP shares are no longer supported. This might not be an issue as the target device is the NAS for time machine but i'm not 100% sure.

My thoughts are to upgrade to Sierra as it is receives security updates, avoids the APFS file system conversion and maintains my backup to the NAS via AFP. Is this my best bet? I’m not in a position right now to spend money on upgrading systems and besides they’re working fine. Has any one experience this scenario or something similar? Does anyone run Mojave using time machine backing up to Readynas NV+ (sparc)?

Thanks in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3
keypepper1
Aspirant

Re: MacOS Upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan and keeping Time Machine to Readynas NV+(Sparc) via AFP

Just a quick update, I updated to Sierra and backups still work fine. High Sierra is going to be a different matter but i'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks and hopefully that helps someone.

Message 2 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: MacOS Upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan and keeping Time Machine to Readynas NV+(Sparc) via AFP

Hi @keypepper1

Welcome to the Community!

If right, Apple is moving out to using SMB instead of AFP and because of this ReadyNAS OS 6 has made support for Time Machine using SMB. However, since your NAS is a legacy and on OS 4 only AFP can be used.

Updating further might have some issues to your legacy NAS but I think Apple will have options to switch back to AFP if needed.

Regards

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements