× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mail notifications for file changes

Tsvetan_89
Aspirant

Mail notifications for file changes

Greetings, good people!

A short, but tough request... Even though this has already been briefly discussed in a separate thread from 2017, I am attempting to re-start the conversation about email notifications for files, kept inside the storage, upon their changes. An example from my everyday life, if I may - on one of the shares I've created a table for procurement purposes. Since there is more than one company with access to the device and I am to purchase this and that for everyone around me, it would be perfect if, like in Microsoft Sharepoint, let's say, I was to receive a notification every time somebody added something to the table in question.

Thanks in advance for your understanding!
Best regards,
Tsvetan Topalov

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Mail notifications for file changes

Hi @Tsvetan_89 , as an alternate solution you could check your table on a regular base and see the new entries right away. As the email alerts would force you to open the table to act on the news anyways, by being proactive on a lets say a daily base you would save a lot of effort and would also keep things more simple.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Tsvetan_89 wrote:

it would be perfect if, like in Microsoft Sharepoint ...

I don't think it's practical to do what you want with SMB.  In addition to notifications, SharePoint also supports checkout, to prevent one user from undoing another user's modifications, and gives you some versioning.

You could of course use Sharepoint (just using the NAS for storage).  You could also look into similar tools that can be installed on linux (Confluence comes to mind).

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

You could build something using inotify (inotify-tools) and mailutils (apt-get install mailutils), assuming you have access to an SMTP server.

If getting your hads dirty in Linux isn't your thing, there are a number of tools for Windows that will monitor files for changes.  But I've not tried any and don't know how well they work on a network share.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements