× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Media Backup duplicating files on Android

djfxprogressive
Aspirant

Media Backup duplicating files on Android

I have lots of photos and videos on my phone, all of which have already been copied to my ReadyNAS. When I installed the ReadyCLOUD app and enabled Media Backup, it creates duplicate files [for instance, xxx (1).jpg].  Why doesn't the app see that these files already exist and just skip them? It wants to re-upload thousands of photos and videos again, which will take many hours and will double the amount of storage consumed.  Thanks in advance!

I'm running Android 6.0.1 with ReadyCLOUD app version 1.2.4

RN104 firmware 6.5.0

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Media Backup duplicating files on Android

Hi djfxprogressive,

Welcome to the community!

Was the backup paused or stopped and was resumed? Could you post some screenshots so we can have a better look at the problem that you've experienced?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
djfxprogressive
Aspirant

Thanks for the response Brian.  I've installed the ReadyCLOUD app on a new android phone, so this is a new backup.  However, i've already copied all the media files to my RN104.  When I enable media backup in the app, it begins to copy all of my media again.  I was hoping it would recognize that these files already exist, and skip them.  I want it to only upload new media files going forward.  See the 4 highlighted images below from my NAS.  The original two were uploaded back in October.  When I enabled media backup this morning, you can see it made duplicates of these files.  The names are exactly the same, just with (1) appended to the end.  It will do that to every file in this folder if I let it go without canceling. 

Is this how the media backup is intended to work?  Or should it only be uploading unique files?

duplicates.jpg

Message 3 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi djfxprogressive,

Thanks for the information and the screenshot that you've provided. Were these files been backed up or copied on your ReadyNAS using the same 'Media backup' app function? 

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
djfxprogressive
Aspirant

No, i was actually having issues a few months back trying to use the media backup function.  It would fail and retry on a bunch of different files, thus was taking a long time.  I used a different sync app to copy the files initially.

I saw the android app has since been updated, and includes some enhancements to the media backup tool, so I thought I would try it again.  That's when I discovered it wants to backup all the files again (thus taking up twice the storage space).  I'm just not sure if this is a bug or a "feature".

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi djfxprogressive,

If the files were backed up using the 'Media backup' feature, it shouldn't duplicate or back up your files again. Why won't you try it again with a few files, a new share and see how it goes.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
joshbowden
Aspirant

Hi,

I am having the same problem - the files that have been backed up are copied over from my phone (Samsung Galaxy) every time I use the Media Backup function on the phone app and just renamed with a (1) or (2) etc. in the filename.

Any idea how to just copy the files that have not been copied. I'm pretty sure my HTC phone did not do the multiple copies.

Thanks for any help,

Josh

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements