× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Minecraft Linux on ReadyNas Pro Pioneer

gsuttor
Aspirant

Minecraft Linux on ReadyNas Pro Pioneer

Is it possible to run the Linux version of Minecraft server on the ReadyNas Pro Pioneer?

Has anyone attempted it? If so please share. I'd love to run the box as a small home server for this. (2-3 people)

Any info appreciated. (complete non-techie here obviously)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Minecraft download page:http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp

Linux / Other:
Download Minecraft.jar, an executable jar file. It might work as-is.
If you run into out of memory errors, try launching it with java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
Also, please make sure you're running the Sun JVM...
<snip>
First, make sure you can use java from the command line. On linux and mac, this should automatically work, but on windows you might want to set up a PATH system variable.
Then download minecraft_server.jar to anywhere, then launch it as:
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't know if it'll work, but you could give it a try.

First note that tech support does not support this, so you should proceed with caution.

I would suggest you:
1. Backup all the data on your NAS
2. Upgrade to the latest RAIDiator firmware (http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_17_Notes) if you haven't already
3. If you haven't already install the EnableRootSSH add-on for x86: http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203. Installation is via Add-Ons > Add New
4. Install the Java community add-on: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=45751
5. Login to SSH, user is 'root' and password will initially be set to your admin password. Use the Terminal on a Linux or Mac Machine or PuTTy on a Windows machine.
6. Download and attempt to install your minecraft server.
7. If you can get this working you'll want to setup a way to automate running this on startup, but best to see if it'll work first.
Message 2 of 20
gsuttor
Aspirant

THANK YOU!

This works awesomely for a LAN server! 😄
Message 3 of 20
gsuttor
Aspirant

Hey mdgm, thanks for your previous help on this.

Any idea how I can set this to run and stop on my ReadyNas without having to use putty through my PC?

If putty closes it closes the app as well.

Any help appreciated.
Message 4 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ideally write an add-on using http://www.readynas.com/?p=346

In start.sh script check to see if service already running and if not start it.
In stop.sh script check to see if service already running and if so stop it.
Message 5 of 20
sphardy1
Apprentice

Or a simple debian init script: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/28
Message 6 of 20
gsuttor
Aspirant

Umm.... this isn't going to work for me.
Not a coder, not a scripter and don't even know Linux beyond CD, LS and running a line I copied to get the server going.

I tried creating a txt file, think it worked as there is now a file there, , but no idea how to run it or attach it to the startup of the Nas.

VI minecraft (in that init.d folder it created a file called "minecraft")
Edited in my 3 lines:

CD /Backup
CD minecraft
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M - jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

and ZZ to save (I think)

But how do I run it?
Message 7 of 20
gsuttor
Aspirant

OK so renamed it to minecraft.sh and it seems to run well if I ad a another "cd" command to the top line to make it go to the root.

Then if I type:

bash minecraft.sh

It runs.. yay!

...then as that scripting webpage indicates did this...

update-rc.d minecraft.sh defaults

which did 'stuff' that is suppose to make it run on started right?

I'm a high risk user aye... 😉

So shut down.. hmmm... eventually, and reboot... checking FS... fair enough.
Well see what happens when she's done. ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Message 8 of 20
gsuttor
Aspirant

Works a treat... sometimes I even amaze myself 😉

UPDATE:
Now I'm noticing a side effect.
The unit will not shutdown with the three button press method (left it for half hour or so), It just holds onthat "SHUTTING DOWN" text o the LCD.
So I go into Frontview and choose shutdown & turn off, which it does.

On boot up it does a "Checking C:" phase every time I boot up. (which takes about an hour).

Second time it's happened now, would the running minecraft server somehow hold up shutdown of the ReadyNas (ie: can't close the server on shutdown) and cause the filesystem check on reboot?

Better take a good look at the email report. (edit: Pasted in next post)
Any advice appreciated.
Message 9 of 20
gsuttor
Aspirant

I definitely ham-fisted something here... the email report as follows:

***** File system check performed at Sun Jun 26 08:57:15 EST 2011 ***** fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010) e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010) /dev/c/c was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes Extended attribute block 574029952 has reference count 4, should be 2. Fix? yes

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Entry 'level.dat' in /backup/minecraft/world (62435332) has deleted/unused inode 62435350. Clear? yes

Entry 'level.dat_old' in /backup/minecraft/world (62435332) has deleted/unused inode 62435353. Clear? yes

Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information Block bitmap differences: -(499648372--499648373) Fix? yes

Free blocks count wrong for group #15248 (27666, counted=27668).
Fix? yes

Free blocks count wrong (596547550, counted=596547552).
Fix? yes

Inode bitmap differences: -62435351 -62435353 Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong for group #15243 (4072, counted=4074).
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong (151647387, counted=151647389).
Fix? yes

/dev/c/c: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/c/c: 68451/151715840 files (45.0% non-contiguous), 617179168/1213726720 blocks
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would definitely prefer using start.sh and stop.sh add-on scripts over the method you used. Using add-on start and stop scripts it'll be started and shutdown at the right time. The NAS uses custom boot and shutdown scripts optimised for use with the ReadyNAS.
Message 11 of 20
sphardy1
Apprentice

Minecraft Linux on ReadyNas Pro Pioneer

The problem is not the method used - both provide automatic start and stop facilities and netgear themselves use BOTH methods - but it appears the script actually written only starts the application and does not stop it cleanly

So the file corruption is probably due to the unclean stopping of the app, and it is possible that the lack of a facility to stop the app is preventing the NAS from shutting down also

The link I posted does include a very simple start-stop script template that could be used
Message 12 of 20
dashyt2dafulliz
Aspirant

I would pay for an plugin to be made to make the process easier 😄
Message 13 of 20
yugi
Aspirant

hello guys,
thanx for the insrtuctions.
I just setup the minecraft server on my netgear ultra 2, an d got it to run. (see screen shot attached).
However, I don't find a way to access it from the game itself.
Any clue ?

tx,
R,
Yugi.
Message 14 of 20
dlevens
Aspirant

Curious if there are any updates on this?

I see that this has been solved on a QNAP which is also x86 based
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42194

I have a ReadyNAS Pro business and Pro 6 which I would like to attempt to install a minecraft server with the MinecraftEdu mod for a school. I have 4gb of memory in the NAS.

Hoping some of you have already gotten this working.

Dennis
Message 15 of 20
pardieu
Aspirant

For those who are still interested, I have created a Minecraft server addon for Readynas:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9IBCp4ZNO3_YzQ5TjdrZXZWU00

You will need first to install java 7 with EJRE installer:
http://minimserver.com/ejre-installer.html
Message 16 of 20
budda1
Aspirant

Thanks for packaging things up and documenting the JavaSE install.
As it's 12 months on since the blog post linked to above i'm trying to follow.

Installing Java SE v7 worked. Minecraft addon installed and showing a green indicator.

For the Minecraft addon linked to in the previous post it's v1.6.1 -- does this mean Minecraft server jar is included inside the addon .bin file ? Where does it get installed on the ReadyNAS filesystem and are there any instructions for updating it? The latest is 1.7.10

I can't get Minecraft desktop 1.7.10 to connect to the ReadyNAS as a server. Am I missing a step ?
Message 17 of 20
budda1
Aspirant

Just seen in 'top' command:

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar /etc/frontview/addons/bin/MINECRAFT/minecraft_server.jar nogui

So now I have an answer to my above question regarding bundled jar server and the file location.
My Minecraft client won't connect to the ReadyNAS to play though still.
Message 18 of 20
budda1
Aspirant

I upgraded the Minecraft server jar in the directory mentioned above and still nothing was working.
Running the command from the shell revealed the problem:

# java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar /etc/frontview/addons/bin/MINECRAFT/minecraft_server.jar nogui
[02:26:55] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting minecraft server version 1.7.10
[02:26:55] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading properties
[02:26:55] [Server thread/WARN]: server.properties does not exist
[02:26:55] [Server thread/INFO]: Generating new properties file
[02:26:55] [Server thread/WARN]: Failed to load eula.txt
[02:26:55] [Server thread/INFO]: You need to agree to the EULA in order to run the server. Go to eula.txt for more info.
[02:26:55] [Server thread/INFO]: Stopping server
[02:26:55] [Server Shutdown Thread/INFO]: Stopping server

All the instructions I found online kept referencing an existing eula.txt file to edit. There was none, so I made one and stuck
eula=true
as a single line. Re-ran the Minecraft_server.jar and it started fine.

Now my desktop Client 1.7 can see the ReadyNAS MC server and I can connect fine, however i'm now greeted with an authentication problem. Hopefully at the Mojang end?

[02:40:13] [User Authenticator #1/INFO]: Disconnecting com.mojang.authlib.GameProfile@XYZXYZ[id=<null>,name=XYZXYZ,properties={},legacy=false] (/192.168.88.108:51300): Authentication servers are down. Please try again later, sorry!
[02:40:13] [User Authenticator #1/ERROR]: Couldn't verify username because servers are unavailable
[02:40:13] [Server thread/INFO]: com.mojang.authlib.GameProfile@XYZXYZ[id=<null>,name=XYZXYZ,properties={},legacy=false] (/192.168.88.108:51300) lost connection: Authentication servers are down. Please try again later, sorry!

Any ideas on the cause ?
Message 19 of 20
budda1
Aspirant

Tried again today and everything worked. The User Authenticator must have been wonky the other night.

I had to adapt the Minecraft Addon to work with 1.7 and the EULA.txt -- i edited the MINECRAFT_service file as follows so that when it ran it found the EULA.txt in the current working directory.

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/default/services

cd /etc/frontview/addons/bin/MINECRAFT/
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

All running good here. 😎
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements