× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Monitoring Net Traffic?

Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Monitoring Net Traffic?

what is the best way most of you have found to monitor net traffic to/from your NAS?

I have tried istatd and it is perfect for seeing right now what is happening in terms of cpu, memory and net traffic. But it requires an iphone to see the results, which is not always possible. Does anyone know of another client that can show the istatd real time data?

I have messed around with Nasmon, loadavg, etc.. loadavg is nice for showing a longer view over the course of 24 hours, but it does not really show real time RIGHT NOW what is happening.

I have installed snmpmon, which activates snmpd. I have a lot more playing around to do with that one, I think I probably have to configure the config file to see all the stuff I want to see, then I have to find some kind of SNMP monitor client, which so far I have not been able to find a good one for the mac at all. Years ago I used to use PRTG for this on windows. It was mostly just net traffic though. I know about MRTG, but I have to spend a lot more time to figure that out and I'm not sure that will be any more 'real time' then loadavg is. Perhaps so with configuration, not sure.

Anyway, just wondering what some of you have found most useful for observing cpu, memory and net usage, over time on a graph, but real time right now, as well as the longer range view..
Message 1 of 5
GaWd
Luminary

Re: Monitoring Net Traffic?

Cacti/rrdtools, etc.?

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/
Message 2 of 5
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Is that what you're using?
Message 3 of 5
InTheShires
Tutor

Cacti is a bit of headache (understatement) since the newer firmware updates. I advise you to look elsewhere.

Munin is my next project, upon recommendation of "WhoCares?"
Message 4 of 5
GaWd
Luminary

I don't monitor traffic on my netgears. I use Cacti, Nagios, and RRDtool in my line of work.

Cacti sucks, but some people are good at managing it (I'm not). It's just a tool built on RRD, though. I think you can find lower-impact/easier to manage tools based on RRD.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements